Discover exotic wildlife, ancient forts and captivating culture as a family
Naturally gorgeous, culturally captivating and steeped in mysticism, Sri Lanka makes for a wonderful introduction to both travel and the Indian subcontinent for children and adults alike. Embark on a 12-day family tour and discover temples carved from cliffs, fortresses built on boulders and wildlife-rich parks. Expose your family to different ways of life while cycling through peaceful villages and touring working tea plantations. Wonder at wildlife when you go safari in search of wild elephants, deer and crocodiles. Chill out by the beach in Mirissa while the kids are playing with other young travellers on the tour. Educational, active and leisurely paced, this trip is everything you could want in a family getaway.
Offer applies to trips departing in 2022.Terms & Conditions
The whole family will be impressed by the ancient rock fortress Sigiriya, from the massive stone lion paws at the entrance to the 200-metre climb to the top.
Spotting elephants in their natural habitat during a jeep safari in Udawalawe National Park is something your kids – and you – will never forget.
Share dinner with a Sri Lankan family before sealing the friendship with an informal lesson in a traditional Kandyan dance.
Explore the Dambulla cave temples, where prehistoric Sri Lankans lived thousands of years ago and ancient murals and statues depicting the Buddha are on display.
Soak up some sun during a strategically scheduled beach break along the palm-fringed sands of Mirissa, where the kids can splash, and you can relax.
Though its equatorial position means fairly constant year-round temperatures, the summer months in Sri Lanka are very hot with short, sharp monsoons in the south-west of the country. Please consider your family’s suitability to the season you wish to travel in.
Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. We visit a number of temples on this trip and all members of your family will need to have clothes that cover from wrist to below the knee in order to access them. A light scarf is also a good idea for covering shoulders and arms when it’s hot.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Sri Lanka Family Holiday trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. The trip begins with an important welcome meeting at 5pm.
There are no activities planned for the final day and you are able to depart the accommodation at any time.
3. Please provide your full name exactly as per passport at the time of booking (including any middle names listed on your passport) for train tickets. Fees may apply for amendments to details within 45 days of departure, and in some cases you will be required to cover the cost of issuing new tickets.
4. Please note that these trips are for adults and children travelling together and there must be at least one child under 18 with you in order to book.
5. Minimum age for children on this trip is 5 years old.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information