Discover volcanoes, rainforests and idyllic beaches on this cycling adventure through Central America.
From the deep rainforests of Panama to the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean, witness all the natural splendour of Central America from your unique vantage point in the saddle. Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama are the ultimate trifecta of Central American and Caribbean living, with a diversity of wildlife and rich local cultures waiting to be discovered. This cycling adventure takes you off the beaten path for a journey that's not restricted to the mainland, with voyages to tropical archipelagos and isolated islands surrounded by active volcanoes.
Cycle across Central America, a land of mysterious Mayan ruins, active volcanoes, idyllic beaches and emerald jungles
See the sights and engage in a wide range of activities across three different countries on this epic Latin adventure
Volcanoes, wildlife-rich rainforest, stunning beaches and ancient rock carvings – Ometepe Island has it all. You'll have plenty of free time to explore the island, set in beautiful Lake Nicaragua
Encounter Costa Rica's famous Arenal Volcano in La Fortuna. Whether it's reflecting back at you in the lake or heating the thermal pools you're soaking in, the magnificent volcano always makes its presence felt
Chill out with Caribbean vibes in Puerto Viejo, a lively village with great food and even better music
Cycle the Panama Canal and marvel at the leviathans sailing through the water
To complete this trip it is important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle.
This is a new trip - we have researched the itinerary and accommodation extensively but there is the possibility of some last minute changes if improvements can still be made.
On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group, and another that drives the support vehicle (acting as a back marker where needed). Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a back marker.
While the cycling distances on this trip are relatively short, the terrain of Central America is naturally hilly with a warm, humid climate. You’ll need a reasonable level of fitness to enjoy the trip – but remember the support vehicle will be on hand if you need to take a break for an hour or a day.
Please note that many of the road we cycle on in Central America are not of the standard you may be used to riding on at home. To avoid riding on main roads with too much traffic, most of our riding is done on gravel/dirt roads (approx 75%) with the remainder on paved roads (approx. 25%).
The terrain also varies greatly as we make our way across 3 separate countries, but hills are a constant feature on this trip.
Cycling and driving distances may vary due to local circumstances.
There’s the possibility of a few hiccups along the way, perhaps a puncture here and there, but there’s no doubt this is an incredibly rewarding adventure.
The weather in this region varies seasonally. Be prepared to get sweaty, and even encounter the occasional rainstorm which may require a change of plans.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip with the exception of Day 7 (Homestay). Please ask your booking agent for more information.
2. Bicycle hire is included in your trip price. Please advise your height at time of booking so as we can organise a suitable sized bike.
3. Bike helmets are compulsory on this trip. We are unable to hire bike helmets locally so please ensure you bring your own bike helmet from home.
4. Border crossing fees are not included in the trip cost.
5. On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group, and another that drives the support vehicle (acting as a back marker where needed). Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a back marker.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information