Follow in the tracks of the Tour de France as you challenge yourself cycling up (and down!) the legendary climbs of the French Alps.
Welcome to road cycling – the Intrepid way. This trip takes you from the Jura Mountains to the mighty French Alps as you ride through the same terrain as the Tour de France. Earn your bragging rights as you conquer the legendary climbs of the Croix de Fer, Col d’Izoard and the true legends of the Col du Galibier and the iconic 21 hairpins of the Alpe d'Huez. This is a trip to test your cycling skills but rewards you with sublime Alpine vistas, thrilling downhills, great company and an excuse to eat as much French pastry as you want!
Experience the sublime Lacets de Montvernier – often described as one of the most beautiful roads in professional cycling
Tackle the 21 hairpins of the Alpe d'Huez, the most famous climb known to the world of two wheels
Ascend the Col du Galibier, the ultra-high mountain route once described by Tour de France champion Andy Schleck as ‘like riding into the sky’
Cycle in the midst of towering snow-capped massifs, postcard-perfect lakes, and meadows dotted with shepherd’s stone huts – not to mention the strange wind-carved rocks of the Col d'Izoard
Ride at your own pace in some of the most stunning scenery in cycling
Although this is a group trip, the differing levels of cycling fitness are more pronounced in the mountains. There will be times when you are likely to be riding on your own (but safe in the knowledge that the support vehicle and group leader are never too far away). We provide downloadable files for your GPS device to make sure you never get lost.
While the cycling distances on this trip vary in distance, the terrain of the French Alps is naturally mountainous so you’ll need to be reasonably fit (especially given the warm climate of the summer months).
On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group, and another that drives the support vehicle (acting as a back marker where needed). Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a back marker.
The route is designed so you can cycle from hotel to hotel. The support vehicle will always be available in case you need to take a break for an hour (or a day) but only has space for 7 people.
As the riding is on sealed roads there are no technical cycling skills required. But some downhill practice is a great idea before your trip.
There’s the possibility of a few hiccups along the way – perhaps a puncture here and there – but there’s no doubt this is an incredibly rewarding adventure.
The weather in this region varies seasonally. Be prepared to get sweaty, and for the occasional rainstorm which may require a change of plans.
French summers can get very hot, especially in the mountains. Be sure to use adequate sun protection and drink plenty of water.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle the French Alps: Road Cycling trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Bicycle hire is not included in your trip price. Please advise us if you wish to hire a bike at time of booking and provide your height so we can organise a suitable sized bike. See the Transport section of the Essential Trip Information for bike details.
2. Bike helmets are compulsory on this trip. We are unable to hire bike helmets locally so please ensure you bring your own bike helmet from home.
3. On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group, and another that drives the support vehicle (acting as a back marker where needed). Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a back marker.
4. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, please ask your booking agent for more information.
5. Many of the hotels and restaurants on this trip only reopen in June, and services are usually a bit slower in the early part of the season.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information