Follow the River Tyne on an action-packed adventure through northeast England
Flanked with wild countryside, ancient ruins and views to stop you in your tracks, a journey along the magnificent River Tyne is an absolute must to get the most out of northeast England. With a local leader by your side, travel to the sources of the North and South Tyne, explore the point where they both meet, and follow them all the way to Tynemouth. Visit Northumberland National Park, Hadrian’s Wall, Newcastle and the Kielder Forest. Whether you’re on foot, on a bike or in a kayak, this spectacular corner of the country is sure to leave you in awe.
Follow the North and South Tyne through the spectacular scenery of Northumberland by bike, on foot and in a kayak or canoe.
Enjoy stunning accommodation in an old inn dating back over 300 years in Northumberland National Park and a Victorian townhouse turned hotels with views of the 6th-century Abbey in Hexham.
Cycle into the wild heart of Northumberland, walk along the ancient roman ruins of Hadrian’s Wall and visit the Sycamore Gap, one of the country’s most photographed trees.
Explore the beautiful Kielder Forest on the border of England and Scotland, where the North Tyne river rises and the dark skies make for a perfect spot for stargazing.
Cycle from Alston, the highest market town in England, down through the Tyne Gap valley, then take to the water in a canoe or kayak and explore the point where the North and South Tyne meets.
This is an action-packed itinerary and a moderate level of fitness will help you get the most out of all included activities. You must be confident in the water for stand up paddle boarding, kayaking and swimming. All equipment and safety gear is provided.
This adventure begins in Day 1 in the morning and finishes on Day 4 in the afternoon – you may like to consider arranging additional nights before or after the trip.
Some short sections of cycling and walking may require your own navigation, only in instances when your experienced tour leader will be moving our van to meet you just down the road.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Northumberland: Hike, Bike & Kayak (Source to Sea) trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip starts on Day 1 at 12pm at Newcastle Railway station and finishes on Day 4 at approximately 5pm in Newcastle. You may like to consider arranging additional nights before or after the trip.
2. This is an active trip, and it consists of walking, cycling and water-based activities. Whilst previous experience in walking and kayaking or canoeing isn’t essential, your ability to cycle is.
3. A Single Supplement may be available on this trip, please ask your booking agent for more information.
4. Equipment hire is included in your trip price, bikes, helmets, and all water sport gear. Bike helmets are compulsory to wear during all rides.
5. Some short sections of cycling and walking may require your own navigation, only in instances when your experienced tour leader will be moving our van to meet the group.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information