Visit South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe for the ultimate southern Africa experience.
Visit Southern Africa and travel from Johannesburg, through the Kruger National Park, to Victoria Falls and the Khama Rhino Sanctuary before returning to South Africa. Here's a chance to witness golden sunsets, camp in remote wilderness, safari through African plains and cruise rivers filled with iconic wildlife. Journey through South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe and be amazed by powerful waterfalls, enchanted by encounters with endangered species and inspired by the resolve of communities emerging from darker times. Experience Southern Africa and walk away with renewed hope, inspiration and a heart full of memories.
Camp under an Africa sky within Kruger National Park. You can’t get much closer to nature than that!
Spot wildlife in Chobe National Park during a sunset river cruise. This is the time many animals – such as elephants, cheetahs and lions – come to drink so get your cameras ready!
Experience untouched wilderness of Botswana's Okavango Delta by staying on a remote island bush camp. At night, the sounds of the African bush are the only things you will hear.
Visit the only place in Botswana where both the white and black Rhinoceros’ still remain: the Khama Rhino Sanctuary.
Cycle through the colourful streets of Soweto with a local and hear firsthand about the townships’ rough but inspired history.
On this trip you will be accompanied by 3 crew members - Group Leader, Driver and a camp assistant. Your Camp Assistant is responsible for setting up camp and preparing your meals so you can take extra time to relax at the end of your day.
Camping beds/stretchers, sleeping bags, blankets and pillows are provided for camping nights to provide an extra level of comfort.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent (unless you’re on an Original or Comfort style trip), occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the ‘big five’. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you’ll never forget. However, there are no facilities. Dig a bush toilet and go without a shower, it's all part of the Delta experience.
A cycle tour in Soweto is included on the final day of the trip. It is not an overly strenuous ride, buy Soweto is not completely flat so you should have a reasonable level of fitness.
Wildlife viewing requires some sacrifice, like getting up before day break for dawn game drives. However, the lack of sleep is worth it for the exhilaration and excitement of spotting your first lion or rhino!
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Experience Southern Africa trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This is a combination trip made up of two shorter trips. This means the composition of your group may change in Victoria Falls as some group members leave and new ones join you.
3. This trip includes a mixture camping and other accommodation. While camping, tents, sleeping mats and sleeping bags will be provided and set up for you by our crew.
4. This trip finishes in Soweto on Day 16 after our cycle adventure. Please don't book any international flights until after 8 pm this evening.
5.On occasion, especially during the peak months of May to September and December we are not able to secure campsites within the Kruger National Park. In this instance we will camp at a backpackers outside the park.
6. BORDER CROSSINGS ON THIS TRIP:
Exit South Africa - Groblers Bridge
Enter Botswana - Martin's Drift
Exit Botswana - Kazangula Road
Enter Zimbabwe - Kazangula Road
Exit Zimbabwe - Kazangula Road
Enter Botswana - Kazangula Road
Exit Botswana - Martin's Drift
Enter South Africa - Groblers Bridge
7. Our operator has advised that customers with the J&J vaccine and no booster may have difficulty crossing the border into Botswana (and potentially Zimbabwe) without a negative test result. This information conflicts with various government travel advice websites. We recommend you check with your local consulate before travel to ensure you have the most up to date information.
8. Border crossing delays in the region have been sporadic and difficult to predict as travel rebounds. What takes an hour one day may take four hours the next. This may affect the order of activities in the itinerary. We understand this uncertainty can be frustrating, and we strongly recommend packing a bit of patience and flexibility.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information