From the roof of Africa to the floor of Ngorongoro
Experience some of Kenya and Tanzania's most famous natural wonders on a 16-day adventure that will see you tackling the most challenging and scenic way to the roof of Africa on a trek along the Machame route to summit of Mt Kilimanjaro. Once you descend, embark on an overland journey across the Serengeti plains and enjoy multiple game drives to seek out Africa's iconic animals. Descend to the floor of the gigantic Ngorongoro Crater in pursuit of elephants, lions, and elusive rhino. This tour is non-stop active action that's perfect for independent travellers who love a challenge.
Don't wait - plan your next people and planet-friendly adventure with just € 99* this March. Offer ends March 31.Terms & Conditions
Do Mt Kilimanjaro via the incredible scenic Machame route, passing through cloud forest and moorland zones to the glaciated precipices of Kibo’s south face.
You'll be in great hands during your trek – with one guide for every two passengers – so all you’ll have to worry about is soaking up the scenery and keeping your footing!
Explore the Serengeti National Park in depth with four game drives – two early-morning and two late-afternoon – through this spectacular wildlife arena.
Take a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof 4WD for a chance to see the endangered black rhinoceros.
We’re an official partner with the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project. Hike easier knowing that while our porters are taking care of you, someone is looking out for them.
Camping in the Serengeti National Park with no barriers between you and the animals is amazing, but it's important to heed the safety advice of your leader. You'll be briefed on arrival.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your tent (unless you’re on an Original or Comfort style trip), occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page at intrepidtravel.com/africa/overland.
You'll need a good level of fitness for the Kili section of this trip. The distances may not be long, but the altitude makes it much harder than your average uphill hike.
Tried and tested all-purpose hiking equipment is required for the Mt Kilimanjaro trek. Temperatures at night can get very low when you're above 3500 metres, so warm clothing and a sleeping bag are essential. You can hire this equipment if need be.
Your safety comes first. Our experienced guides will monitor each passenger for any signs of acute mountain sickness. If you show any signs, you'll descend immediately with a guide.
Hiking for several days without a shower can be tough – be prepared for some dust and dirt. A mask, wet wipes and face washer may become your best friends!
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 2 (Basic Hotel) and Days 3-7 & 9-14 (Camp) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information
2. This trip is a combination of YGOT,YAKT,YAKC and YKXA our most popular itineraries. As such the make up of your group and your leader may change on day 8..
3. Although no mountaineering experience is required a good level of physical fitness is necessary. You must be comfortable walking 6-8 hours uphill a day.
4. Parts of your trip go above 2800 meters / 9200 feet where it is common for travelers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude - regardless of your age, gender and fitness. Please see Essential Trip Information for FAQ's.
5. As a result of the physical activity involved in this trip, such as strenuous trekking, the location or terrain through which the trip goes and other local factors including altitude, remoteness and temperature, a Passenger Self Assessment Form must be completed, signed and returned to our office prior to your trip.
6. Sleeping bags can be hired at no cost on the Kilimanjaro section of this trip. You will be required to provide your own sleeping bag for the Serengeti section of this trip or can hire one at an additional cost.
7. Border Crossings on this Trip:
Exit Kenya - Isebania
Enter Tanzania - Isebania
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information