Explore classic Rajasthan on an adventure tour through romantic India
The enchanting northern province of Rajasthan is awash with all the colours of India. On our classic adventure we discover the grisly history of massive forts and the opulence and splendour of Maharajahs' palaces. Stroll bustling markets, search for the elusive Bengal tiger, enjoy a sunset camel safari and soak up the culture of the local people. This is truly the essence of Rajasthan.
This is our most popular trip to Rajasthan and one of the top selling trips in our entire range. Opulent, whimsical and romantic – Rajasthan will no doubt capture your imagination and your heart too.
Don't worry if you find the idea of travelling to India daunting at first - your local leader will be on hand to give you all the insider info to help you have a memorable experience of this captivating, but sometimes challenging, country.
Walk through past hills, shimmering lakes and marble palaces of Udaipur – India’s most romantic city and one of our favourites. Read more about why here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/venice-of-the-east-india-udaipur/
Watch the sunset from a rampart on Fort Madhogarh, one of the heritage hotels (and a former royal residence) that will be your accommodation while here.
Keep your adrenaline charged with an evening tiger spotting safari among the lakes and jungles of one of India's best known national parks - Ranthambhore.
Ride camels into the desert in Pushkar and camp out amongst the dunes, surely one of the most memorable ways to spend a night in Rajasthan.
Could any visit to India be complete without a visit to the Taj Mahal? Here's what you need to know about your visit: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/taj-mahal-travel-guide/
We include some key sights in each destination as well as aim to provide some free time for you to make your own discoveries. Past travellers have found that some research before they travel on what they are most interested in seeing and doing has allowed them to maximise their time in each place.
While there is no guarantee you will see a tiger during your safari in Ranthambhore, you may also have a chance to see a variety of other wildlife, including hyenas, jackals, deer, langurs, marsh crocodiles, wild boars and birdlife.
Make sure your luggage is light and compact enough to be able to carry it up and down multiple flights of stairs (ie. in train stations, hotels without elevators).
There are a number of long travel days on this trip. Some journeys take between six to eight hours, but are a great opportunity to get to know locals, fellow travellers and the diverse scenery. We are covering a lot of this vast country during the trip, so the journey is all part of the India experience.
It’s important to prepare for hot sticky temperatures during the day and cooler climates in the evening, particularly in the desert. Layers are the one of the best ways to tackle this disparity in weather. We visit a number of temples on this trip, which requires a certain level of modesty. Please bring clothes that cover the arms and pants/skirts that go past the knees. A light scarf is also a good idea for covering shoulders and arms when it’s hot.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2018 to 31 December 2018. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2019 - 31 December 2019
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Classic Rajasthan trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Intrepid requires a scanned copy of your passport bio page at time of booking to secure a permit for your Ranthambore National Park visit. Authorities at Ranthambhore NP follow a strict booking process whereby permits are issued on a first come first serve basis. If we do not receive correct passport details in time we cannot guarantee you on the tiger safari.
2. This trip travels back to Delhi on the afternoon of day 14 arriving into the capital around 11pm. Please do not book departure flights out until at least 4am on day 15 to allow for delays
3. A single supplement is available on this trip and covers all nights.
4. The Pushkar Camel Fair is held in late Oct early November, please see the climate and seasonal information in these Trip Notes for more detail.
5. Hot air balloon flights are operated by Sky Waltz in Jaipur. Flights operate mornings from September to June and morning and evening from September to March. Morning flights depart around sunrise and evening flights late afternoon and last 60 mins. Return transfers, tea and coffee plus light refreshments and a certificate of flight are included in the cost. You can register your interest and pay your tour leader at your joining meeting on day 1 of your trip. Payment must be made by cash in either INR/AUD/USD/GBP only and is USD$250pp (subject to change) Flights are subject to weather conditions and availability. Tickets are fully refundable in case of poor weather.
TRIP CHANGES FOR 2019:
From 1st January 2019 this trip will no longer include camel riding. We are replacing this activity with a shared meal with a local family. The length of the trip and day of departure remains unchanged.
Our Classic Rajasthan trips score an average of 4.88 out of 5 based on 776 reviews in the last year.
This trip will provide lots of opportunities - its up to you how much you get out of it
Review submitted 13 Oct 2018
I travelled with Intrepid for the first time. Classic Rajasthan. We travelled from Delhi, Agra , Rural Heritage Stay , Jaipur, Ranthambhore National Park, Bundi, Rural Heritage Stay, Udaipur, Pushkar , Delhi. It was a marvellous trip. Everything ran like clockwork. The food was always delicious. We saw so many Amazing places and sights.We has the Absolute Best tour guide Tarang. I would highly recommend Intrepid tours.
Review submitted 13 Oct 2018