Pedal beside the majestic Danube River on a cycling odyssey.
Retrace the steps of the Roman, Ottoman and Turk Empires on this adventure along the mighty Danube River. Journey through picturesque villages, forests and lush farmlands as you cycle from Vienna to Budapest, passing through Slovakia and it's cosmopolitan capital. Live it up in Baroque style at the elegant Schönbrunn Palace or get lost in the cobbled laneways of Komarom, a city with one foot in Hungary and the other in Slovakia. Visit the architectural jewel of the Danube River, the Esztergom Basilica, and pass by the imposing white-hued Bratislava Castle. Celebrate a day in the saddle with a luxurious soak in one of Budapest's iconic baths.
Don't wait - plan your next people and planet-friendly adventure with just € 99* this March. Offer ends March 31.Terms & Conditions
Cycle leafy paths from vibrant Vienna to Bratislava and bohemian Budapest
Follow the Danube downstream, passing romantic castles, picturesque villages and lowland forests
Experience one of Austria's most important archaeological sites, the Roman remains at Carnuntum
Marvel at the domed Basilica of Esztergom, reflected in the still waters of the Danube Bend
Straddle the borders of Hungary and Slovakia in the historic spa town of Komarom
To complete this trip it is important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle.
On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group, and another that drives the support vehicle (acting as a back marker where needed). Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a back marker.
While the cycling distances are relatively long – sometimes up to 75 kilometres – the terrain of the Danube as it flows downstream is naturally flat so you’ll only need a reasonable level of fitness to enjoy the trip. But remember, we will always have the support vehicle on hand if you need to take a break for an hour or a day.
As our riding is done mostly on sealed roads and bike paths with the occasional gravel section there are no technical cycling skills required.
There’s the possibility of a few hiccups along the way – a puncture here and there maybe – but there’s no doubt this is an incredibly rewarding adventure.
As accommodation on this trip is multi-share, single travellers will share a room with another traveller of the same sex. This trip is a great opportunity to get to know other like-minded people, so embrace it while you can. If you’d prefer not to share, a single room supplement is available at an additional charge.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 5 (Komarom) where you will be in a twin-share room, and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. Bicycle hire is included in your trip price. Please advise your height at time of booking so awe can ensure a suitable sized bike is arranged.
3. Bike helmets are compulsory on this trip. We are unable to hire bike helmets locally so please ensure you bring your own bike helmet from home.
4. On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group, and another that drives the support vehicle (acting as a back marker where needed). Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a back marker.
5. An e-bike option (at additional cost) may be available on this trip. We have limited numbers of these bikes available and they are an 'on request' basis only. A request does not guarantee an e-bike, only a confirmed booking. Please ask your agent for more details at the time of booking.
6. In 2023 - due to negative client feedback we no longer ride on the morning of the final day in Budapest. This ride has been integrated into the ride on Day 7.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information