Visit China's Tiger Leaping Gorge on a trip departing from Kunming.
Experience the breathtaking natural scenery, historical attractions and rural lifestyles for which the Yunnan province is renowned for on this active trip through Tiger Leaping Gorge. One of Asia's finest geological wonders, the gorge is best beheld from the winding hiking trails high above the Yangzi River – so prepare for some trekking! Staggering panoramas of mist-draped mountain peaks, deep ravines and gushing river gorges await those willing to raise their heartbeats a little, while some time in the chilled-out towns of Dali, Shaxi and Lijiang offer an excellent opportunity to mingle with locals.
TRIP CHANGES FOR 2019:
From 1st January 2019 this trip will visit Shangrila, instead of Nuodeng. This is in response to feedback regarding long travel days and will allow us to reduce the number of hours travelling between destinations. Further details on this change will be available in coming months. The name of the trip will also change to Yunnan Explorer.
A delightful snapshot of the past, Nuodeng is a lesser visited village on the old salt trading route where we begin our experience of Yunnan's traditional culture
In Shaxi, you'll see one of the best preserved examples of a traditional town. Stay in a friendly, family-run guesthouse and sample some authentic local cuisine
Experience the legendary Tiger Leaping Gorge, with two days of exploration of one of China's most breathtaking hiking trails
Picture perfect Lijiang is a must-see destination in Yunnan equally popular for its cobble stone streets and Naxi culture as its recent rebirth as a hot spot for domestic travellers
Travel like a local, on public buses and sleeper trains. It's the perfect opportunity to interact with people and take in the charming provincial scenery
You've never tried anything like Yunannese food! Get a different perspective on Chinese cuisine with the unique flavours of the local soup, noodle, mushroom and even cheese dishes.
This trip visits some destinations that are at high altitude (above 2,800 metres), and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the trip notes for more important information on this.
There are some long days of travel on public transport. While this is great for meeting locals and enjoying the countryside, it can be tiring, as conditions may be simpler than what you're accustomed to and may involve multiple vehicle changes to get to our destination.
There's a mix of accommodation on this trip – overnight trains, guesthouses and hotels. Keep in mind that conditions and facilities will vary, and in the simpler places we may have cold water only and shared bathrooms.
Hiking Tiger Leaping Gorge is an unforgettable experience, with some truly awe-inspiring views. But if you're not up to a rigourous two days of walking through often tricky terrain, or have a fear of heights, you might like to reconsider. Some paths along the mountainside are extremely narrow, with a steep drop and few protective barriers. For those who aren't up for the most active inclusions on this trip, there is the option of staying in the guesthouse in town or travelling by road along the upper gorge (at own expense).
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Yunnan & Tiger Leaping Gorge trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement to have your own room is bookable on this trip, subject to availabilty, and excludes the overnight train.
2. A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking or no later than 30 days before departure in order for us to purchase your train tickets.
3. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities.
4. Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
5. From 1st January 2019 this trip will visit Shangrila, instead of Nuodeng. This is in response to feedback regarding long travel days and will allow us to reduce the number of hours travelling between destinations. Further details on this change will be available in coming months. The name of the trip will also change to Yunnan Explorer.
Our Yunnan & Tiger Leaping Gorge trips score an average of 4.75 out of 5 based on 16 reviews in the last year.
My first Intrepid Trip! Now to decide "where next"!
Review submitted 09 May 2018
Website very helpfull. Use it to compare trips in same area. Enough free time is also given at a overnighter to be able to explore which was great
Review submitted 08 May 2018