Meet sea lions and bunk on the best islands
Take in the highlights of the unique flora- and fauna-rich islands of the Galapagos on this eight-day Lonely Planet Experience powered by Intrepid. From rubbing shoulders with giant tortoises to gazing up in wonder at the spectacular blue-footed boobies’ synchronised fishing technique, the Galapagos offers the chance to see an abundance of rare creatures at close range. We’ll show you the best islands, coves and natural wonders, and give you plenty of time to explore (with local advice!) so you can spend your time the way you want. Snorkel with sea lions, swim with sea turtles and relax in paradise.
Get your blood pumping as you scale Sierra Negra Volcano during an epic hike, then cool off with a swim in the perfect waters of Isla Isabela’s beaches.
Many come to Isla Santa Cruz just for the giant tortoises. Get up close and personal with these enormous animals as they drag themselves through the sand.
Learn about the unique habits of the marine iguana. This dinosaur-like little creature has an iridescent sheen and is only found on the Galapagos Islands.
Birdwatching at the Galapagos is quite an experience. Watch the aerobatic routines of blue-footed boobies and the death defying stunts of the frigate birds as they whizz through the air.
This Lonely Planet Experience combines plenty of must-try activities and islands with generous mounts of free time, so you can explore the Galapagos at your own pace.
This trip begins in Quito, where elevation can cause altitude sickness regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Medical and health information’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more details.
The itinerary involves a lot of travel by speed boat between the various Galapagos Islands, the rides can be quite bumpy at times. The good news is that seasickness can often be managed with medication. Consult a health professional before your trip.
This trip includes a 17-kilometre hike (approximately 5–6 hours) on rocky terrain.
Understandably, many of our travellers’ express interest in scuba diving in the Galapagos. We are now able to assist with booking this activity, though please note that our staff are only able to do this through a provider that meets our internal safety policy. Speak to an Intrepid agent at the time of booking for more information.
The sun in the Galapagos islands is incredibly strong due to its close proximity to the equator, ensure you are well prepared with sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses and a rash guard if desired.
This trip does include snorkelling on multiple days throughout the itinerary. Confident swimming skills are required to take part.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Galapagos Discovery trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Ecuador has implemented COVID-19 testing requirements for entry to the country, including special conditions for Galapagos. Please refer to your government's foreign travel advice for the most up to date information.
2. Due to hotel availability a single supplement is not available on this trip.
3. This trip has a shorter version GGRX which doesn't include flights to and from Quito and starts in the Galapagos.
4. A Galapagos Transit Card fee of US$20 is payable on departure from Quito Airport (or whichever airport in Ecuador you are flying to the Galapagos from). The Galapagos park fee (US$100) and Isabela Port fee (US$10) are payable upon arrival to the islands (cash only). These amounts are in addition to your trip payment.
When booking, please ensure that your details are correct and they match your passport. Your passport must match the booking details provided to us; otherwise it could cause issues with your transit card and internal flights resulting in purchasing a new card and flights at your own expense.
5. Some of the hotels in the Galapagos do have internet connections however it's often very slow and and may not always be functional.
6. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase Entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.
7. Please note that in the Galapagos many of the hotels hot water services are limited and as such hot water may not always be available and cold showers maybe the only option.
8. Please be advised that for the internal flights on this tour the airline only provides a small snack on the flight. You may wish to take your own snacks as it is a long travel day.
9. Strict rules apply in the Galapagos Islands aimed at protecting and preserving its unique biodiversity. Intrepid strongly agrees and supports these rules which range from times of the day that a destination can be visited to the distance kept between people and wildlife and especially not removing anything from the environment ( shells and corals for example) – all these rules will be explained in more detail by your Leader on the ground. Not adhering to these rules can lead to hefty fines for travelers and can result in Intrepid losing the license to operate in the Galapagos Islands – these rules must be adhered to by all, without exception. Failure to adhere to the rules can result in being removed from the trip without refund.
For more information, please follow this link: http://www.galapagos.org/travel/travel/park-rules/
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information