Summit the roof of Africa and survey the Serengeti on safari
Experience two of Africa's most famous natural wonders from ground level on this trip, designed for those with a passion for the outdoors. The imposing peaks of Mt Kilimanjaro inspire awe and rouse a spirit of adventure, while the vast plains of the Serengeti evoke a sense of wonder and deep respect for the animal kingdom. Rise to the challenge and conquer Africa's highest peak on a difficult trek to the summit of Mt Kilimanjaro. Safari through the savanna in search of stealthy predators, then spot other game in the gigantic Ngorongoro Crater. This is a journey that will reward those with an appetite for excitement and an appreciation for nature, so get ready for thrills, challenges and discovery.
For a limited time only secure your dream 2023 adventure for $99 - Offer ends soon!Terms & Conditions
Explore the Serengeti National Park in depth with four game drives – two early-morning and two late-afternoon – through this spectacular wildlife arena.
Take a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof 4WD for a chance to see the endangered black rhinoceros.
Kill it on your Kili trek with the best local team, nights spent in huts instead of tents and an extra acclimatisation day at Horombo for the best chance at summiting.
Hike Mt Kilimanjaro's climactic last stretch by lamplight and give yourself as much chance as possible to watch a sunrise over icefields from behind Africa’s highest peak.
We’re an official partner with the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project. Hike easier knowing that while our porters are taking care of you, someone is looking out for them.
Camping in the Serengeti National Park with no barriers between you and the animals is amazing, but it's important to heed the safety advice of your leader. You'll be briefed on arrival.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your tent (unless you’re on an Original or Comfort style trip), occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page at intrepidtravel.com/africa/overland.
You'll need a good level of fitness for the Kili section of this trip. The distances may not be long, but the altitude makes it much harder than your average uphill hike.
Tried and tested all-purpose hiking equipment is required for the Mt Kilimanjaro trek. Temperatures at night can get very low when you're above 3500 metres, so warm clothing and a sleeping bag are essential. You can hire this equipment if need be.
Your safety comes first. Our experienced guides will monitor each passenger for any signs of acute mountain sickness. If you show any signs, you'll descend immediately with a guide.
Hiking for several days without a shower can be tough – be prepared for some dust and dirt. A mask, wet wipes and face washer may become your best friends!
The huts along the Marangu route sleep between four and 12 people and will be mixed-gender.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1.This trip is a combination of YKXM,YKNT and YGOT our most popular itineraries. As such the make up of your group and your leader may change on day 8.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 2,3,4,5,6 (Mountain Huts) and Days 10,11,12,13,14 (Camp) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. The cabins used during your trek are multishare for 4–12 people per cabin.
4. Parts of your trip go above 2800 meters (9200 feet) where it is common for travelers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude.
5. A Self-Assessment Form is required for this trip. Your booking agent will provide you with this form at time of booking to fill out before arrival.
6. Please make sure you arrange your flights in order to arrive at the starting hotel before 4 pm on Day 1 in order to attend the very important pre-climb briefing and information session that is usually held before dinner. However in some instances it may be necessary to have the meeting on the morning of Day 2. Please check at reception what time and where this meeting will take place.
7. It's easy to book yourself a transfer from Nairobi to Marangu (or vice versa). Simply ask at your hotel. They will make a booking and collect payment for you (cost is approx. US$80). This public shuttle transfer leaves your Nairobi hotel around 08:00 and connects with a 14:00 shuttle in Arusha. The Arusha shuttle transfers to Moshi, Marangu. The transfer company we work with have agreed to take our passengers through to our Marangu Hotel. Please ask your booking agent for the shuttle company details.
8. There is a flight from Kilimanjaro to Nairobi on Day 8 of this trip. This section of the trip is unescorted.
9. This trip finishes upon arrival in Nairobi on Day 15. Please do not book any flights until after 10.30am this morning. .
10. Border Crossings on this Trip:
Exit Kenya - Isebania
Enter Tanzania – Isebania
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information