Get ready for a good time in the Badlands
Cycle some of the USA’s most magnificent roads, walk in the footsteps of Wild West outlaws and come face to face with one of the world’s most recognised monuments on a six-day cycling adventure through South Dakota. The Badlands National Park, Wind Cave National Park, Custer State Park and Black Hills National Forest deliver in otherworldly scenery while the fabled towns you pedal to serve up a side of American history. The towering carvings of past presidents on the side of Mount Rushmore must be seen to be believed, and travelling with a local leader ensures you’ll hear the stories behind all the sights you uncover along the way.
Don't wait - plan your next people and planet-friendly adventure with just € 99* this March. Offer ends March 31.Terms & Conditions
Take a wild ride along the famed Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park, searching for bison, elk, antelope, mountain goat, and deer as you pedal.
When you’re not on two wheels, there’s plenty to discover on foot – tour a section of one of the world’s longest caves in Wind Cave National Park and admire its unique formations.
Cycle one of the USA’s most spectacular roads – the Iron Mountain Road weaves through South Dakota’s Black Hills, revealing a different view with each of its curves.
Park your bike at the iconic Mount Rushmore and follow the Presidential Trail for a close-up view of the granite-hewn faces of Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Lincoln.
Scenic rides lead you to storied places – explore legendary Deadwood and learn about its Wild West past, and visit the Custer State Park, known for one of the largest bison herds in the world.
Cycle in the company of an experienced cycling guide as they share their unique perspective of this fascinating region.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding travel prior to booking this trip.
This trip deliberately involves a fair amount of driving – this is designed that you only cycle the very best places and none of the 'transit' legs in-between.
If you feel like doing all the riding but with less effort, you have the option of hiring an electric bike (e-bike) on this trip.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle South Dakota: Mount Rushmore & Badlands trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip begins at midday 12pm on Day 1, and finishes around 3pm on Day 5.
2. To complete this trip it is important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle. While the cycling distances on this trip are relatively short, the terrain can sometimes be hilly so you’ll need a reasonable level of fitness to enjoy the trip – but remember, we will always have the support vehicle on hand if you need to take a break for an hour or a day.
3. A Single Supplement may be available on this trip, please ask your booking agent for more information.
4. Bicycle hire is included in your trip price. Please advise your height at time of booking so we can organise a suitable sized bike.
5. The included bikes on this trip are a flat bar 'hybrid-style'. You have the option (at extra cost) of hiring an electric bike (e-bike) - this must be requested at the time of booking.
6. Bike helmets are compulsory on this trip. We are unable to hire bike helmets locally so please ensure you bring your own bike helmet from home.
7. For groups of 6 or less clients we have a single leader that drives the support vehicle alongside the group. For larger groups, we have a separate driver and the leader will cycle all routes. Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a backmarker.
8. Accommodation is not included on day 6 of this trip.
9. Due to Covid-19 restrictions some of the local attractions may be temporarily closed, running reduced hours, or require booking ahead. Please check their websites for up-to-date opening hours.
10. In 2023 this will not travel to Hot Springs, but will overnight in Rapid City instead, and proceed directly to Wind Cave on the morning of Day 2.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information