Distinctive and remote, Bhutan offers beauty, history and adventure by the bucketload.
Bhutan is the little secret of Asia. Overshadowed and nestled between China and India, it is a relatively new travel spot, with many undiscovered secrets in its natural scenery and quiet townships. The land is dotted with red-clothed monks, ancient Buddhist temples and friendly smiles. It is one calm country, where gross national happiness is more important than money, where chillies are used as a vegetable rather than for spice, and the thunder dragon, Druk, is emblazoned on the national flag, symbolising the people of Bhutan: loyal, patriotic and living with a total sense of belonging within the kingdom.
The happiest land on earth, Bhutan is a hidden paradise with no traffic lights, laws governing minimum forest coverage and some amazing feats of archery.
Only a small number of visitors are allowed into Bhutan each year. Its pretty special.
The climb to Tigers Nest, while tough, is a richly rewarding and sobering experience
Whilst only a small country, there are long travel days in Bhutan, most roads are single lane and travel by vehicle is slow and tiring.
The trek to Tigers nest is quite vigorous, but its well worth the climb.
Bhutan is at high altitude, a day or two taking it easy makes for a much more comfortable trip. Drink tea and lots of water on arrival and avoid strenuous exercise while acclimatising.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Bhutan Discovered trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. An airport arrival and departure transfer is included in Bhutan.
2. Please provide Intrepid or your booking agent with a scanned colour copy of the personal details page from your passport at time of booking. Failure to do this delays group visa.
3. Please advise all international flight details at least 60 days prior to departure.
4. Please be aware that Bhutan's airlines are renowned for last minute changes to flight timetables into and out of Bhutan. Please allow a min of 6-8 hours transit time between your international flight and flight into Bhutan. Timetables are available on the Druk Airlines and Air Bhutan websites.
5. All travellers must arrive on Day 1 and depart on Day 7 to be eligible for a group visa.
6. A single supplement is available on this trip and is applicable for all nights on tour.
7. All meals are included during your time in Bhutan.
Our Bhutan Discovered trips score an average of 5 out of 5 based on 6 reviews in the last year.
This was a great trip to a country where everyone seems to be happy and smiling. The scenery is stunning and the climb up to the Tiger's Nest Monastery is a real must. You'll get a couple of small hikes before the big one so as to get acclimatised to the altitude. Bhutan gives you memories that will make you think of visiting again.
Review submitted 22 Dec 2017
Bhutan is beautiful, unspoiled and a delight to experience. Our guide was great, his knowledge was first class, his ability to bring the history of Bhutan to life was amazing.
Review submitted 15 Dec 2017