Beaches, ruins, jungles and (quite often) a combination of all three
From cloud-shrouded volcanic peaks to sun-drenched beaches, lost temples to charming colonial towns, Central America is bursting with natural wonders and converging cultures. So, where do you begin? Well, this 32-day tour is a hell of a good start. Kick off in Mexico’s Playa del Carmen and snake through Belize, Antigua, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Relax on the beach in San Miguel, trek to the jungle ruins of Tikal, brush up on your Espanola over an icy cerveza and stay in villages dwarfed by volcanoes. Whether you’re haggling in the markets of Chichicastenango, chilling in a Caribbean town on the Rio Dulce or wandering cobblestone streets in Antigua, this tour gives you a taste of Central America’s myriad flavours.
Some of our under-30 travellers prefer to get around with people their own age. If that’s you, you’re in the right place!
Over 29? We’ve got over 900 other great adventures to choose from for solo travellers, friends, families, food lovers, hiking enthusiasts, and more.
Travel solo, together
You're never alone when travelling solo with Intrepid
Extended time in Caye Caulker and Antigua offers the perfect opportunity to enjoy laidback island vibes as well as buzzing colonial city life.
There's nothing quite like eating with a local family to really experience a place. At lunch you'll be experiencing traditional Guatemalan hospitality while improving your Spanish with the locals.
There are many sides to Central America, and you’ll get a taste of a few: slumbering poolside by Playa del Carmen, gazing at the pyramids of Tikal or haggling in the markets of Chichicastenango.
Oh Maya, travelling in the Guatemalan Highlands is a humbling experience.
Cerro Verde is waiting to be explored. Enjoy a full day at leisure in one of El Salvador’s most beautiful national parks – get up close and personal at a volcano crater or take the plunge in a pristine lake. The choice is yours!
Island life doesn’t get much better than Ometepe in Nicaragua – volcanoes, wildlife-rich rainforest, stunning beaches, ancient rock carvings, and a massive lake are all on your plate.
Central America likes to keep you on your toes – hike, cycle or zip-line through the steamy cloud forests of Monteverde in Costa Rica and commune with nature in one of the world’s most incredible landscapes.
Costa Rica's famous Arenal Volcano in La Fortuna is unbe-lava-ble. Go with the flow and let off some stream with hikes, waterfalls, watersports, and hot springs in the shadow of this giant.
Who doesn’t love a challenge? We definitely do here at Intrepid, and while travelling between some locations on local transport on this trip can be hard, it’s super rewarding and a great way to meet the locals.
You’ll be crossing the borders between several countries on this trip and, while it is usually straightforward, you may need to be patient. Make sure you’ve got your best car game ready if there are any delays!
Central America is tropical, so expect a hot and humid climate. Make sure you protect yourself from the sun, wear comfortable, light clothing and stay hydrated – especially when out on walking tours. Air conditioning may not always be available in your rooms. Occasionally, properties may require an additional charge for the use of air conditioning.
It’s a good idea to try and brush up on as many Spanish words as you can. While locals are really friendly, they’re also shy, so knowing some local lingo is a great way to break the ice and show you care.
There are many opportunities to get active on this adventure. Some of the optional activities, especially the volcano hikes, require a moderate level of fitness and sturdy walking shoes. Want to take it easy? There are plenty of other things you can do instead.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Epic Mexico to Costa Rica trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip is for ages 18-29s.
2. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
3. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 9 (Tikal), Days 10 & 11 (Rio Dulce), Days 13 & 14 (Lake Atitlan), Days 23 & 24 (Ometepe Island) and Days 25 & 26 (San Juan del Sur) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
4. Multishare typically includes triple and quad rooms. You may be required to share with group members of the opposite sex and couples, and people travelling together may occasionally be separated due to rooming configurations.
5. Please be careful when booking flights from San Jose; make sure you fly out of Juan Santamaria International Airport [SJO]. Please do not book flights from Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport [SJC] as this is located in California, United States.
6. As per updated Nicaragua entry requirements, customers are currently required to supply a copy of their passport front page to their booking agent no later than 15 days prior to departure.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information