Take an epic Middle Eastern adventure in comfort
Take an epic 26-day journey across lands of ancient civilizations, holy relics, cities carved from stone and sunrises over desert landscapes. Sip aromatic coffee in Cairo before you discover the pharaonic temples and tombs along the Nile River. Take jeep safaris in Wadi Rum and Negev, camping under unpolluted skies full of stars. Discover the Rose City of Petra and the Roman city of Jerash before arriving in Tel Aviv. Taste unbelievable falafel in Manger Square and take a walking tour through Jerusalem. Immerse yourself in the frequently misunderstood Middle East and gain an understanding you can’t get from news bulletins.
Set sail down the Nile – one of the world’s most iconic rivers. Relax in comfort as scenes of everyday Egyptian life stream by and experience day turn to night from your sundeck.
You’ll never forget your first glimpse of The Treasury in Petra. Spend a day taking in the majesty and mystery of this unforgettable place on a guided tour then enjoy free time to explore.
Experience the unique sensation of floating in the super-salty waters of the Dead Sea, then cover yourself in the mineral-rich mud for a spa treatment like no other.
Explore the Ramon Crater in the Negev Desert in a 4WD, spotting constellations unimpeded by light pollution on a tour with an expert local guide.
Join Bedouin women for special lunch at Lakiya Negev Bedouin Weaving, an initiative that empowers women to apply their traditional weaving skills to the manufacture and sale of their products, and earn an income.
Accommodation aboard the overnight train is in two-berth cabins, which are comfortable and air-conditioned. All bedding is provided, and western-style toilets are located in each carriage. General train cleanliness may not be to the same standards you are accustomed to. An included dinner and breakfast are served on board. You may want to purchase something extra beforehand to supplement your meal, particularly if you have any dietary requirements.
The Nile Cruise includes three nights’ accommodation and full board (drinks are not included). Your ship will be docked each night in Aswan, Edfu or Luxor – please see the Itinerary for more details. When docked, Nile cruise ships are moored lengthways alongside each other, and your ship will most likely have a ship on either side. You walk through the other ships to reach the port.
Temperatures can vary across this region and throughout the year. From April to October, to avoid the midday heat, we start some days very early e.g. 6am. Be sure to review the ‘Climate and seasonal information’ section of the Essential Trip Information and consider the weather at the time of year you wish to travel.
The walkways around ruins can be uneven, dusty and rocky, so be sure to bring sturdy, comfortable walking shoes. At major sites such as the Pyramids, you can expect to be exposed to the elements at length, so be prepared with a hat, sunscreen and plenty of fluids.
Major sites can become congested during peak travel periods with buses of large pilgrim groups. While we do our best to plan our visits around these times, it’s not always possible. There may be delays, queues and private services that prevent us from entering some sites. Your leader will manage this as best as they can on the day.
During your trip you will visit numerous religious sites. You will need to bring clothes that cover the arms and legs. Your leader will advise when such clothing is necessary.
Known as 'baksheesh' in the Middle East, tipping is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels. Don’t be taken back if this tipping culture is even more apparent here.
Ramadan is an annual month-long festival, during which travel can be a rewarding cultural experience, however some regular services may not be available during the day, such as restaurants or cafes, and occasionally travel can be disrupted by events. Your leader will adjust the itinerary accordingly, but please consider this when selecting your travel dates. You’ll find dates and further information in the ‘Climate and seasonal information’ section of the Essential Trip Information.
Israel and the Palestinian Territories is by no means a cheap destination, so it’s important to budget accordingly. The good news is that your expert local leader is on hand to help you uncover the best local deals.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer to have your own room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights on your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included, valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
3. This trip includes domestic and international flights as indicated on the trip map. The luggage allowance is 23kg for check in luggage and 7kg for carry on.
4. Please provide your full name exactly as per passport at the time of booking (including any middle names listed on your passport) for transport and entrance tickets. Fees may apply for adding or amending details within 45 days of departure, and in some cases you will be required to cover the cost of issuing new tickets.
5. Petra By Night is offered as an optional activity. This activity is currently scheduled to operate on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Please check your departure date if you would like to do this activity as it is not available on all departures.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information