It's official – cycling is the best way to explore Maine and the Acadia National Park
While the rugged beauty of Acadia National Park naturally gets the headlines there is so much more to cycling in Maine. From the coastal scenery that inspired the tempestuous seascapes of the acclaimed 19th-century American painter, Winslow Homer, to the quintessential New England fishing villages and lighthouses, to riding up a mountain at dawn to watch the sunrise above the Atlantic Ocean, Maine offers something for cyclists at every level. Spend your days riding the quiet and beautiful tree-lined roads and your evenings enjoying some of America’s finest seafood cuisine – the perfect antidote to busy city life.
Ride through the beautifully rugged Acadia National Park, one of the nation’s most beloved parks.
Enjoy sunrise and epic views from the top of Cadillac Mountain, known for being the first place to see the sunrise in the United States.
Dine on some of America’s finest seafood cuisine – with a local leader’s expert insight to guide you to the best spots.
Pedal through quintessential New England fishing villages and visit some of the most inspiring lighthouses you’ll ever see.
Cycle the same rugged coastal scenery that inspired the tempestuous seascapes of the acclaimed 19th-century American painter, Winslow Homer.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’. Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding domestic travel prior to booking this trip.
To complete this trip it is important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle. While the cycling distances on this trip vary, the terrain can sometimes be hilly so you’ll need a reasonable level of fitness to enjoy the trip – but remember, we will always have the support vehicle on hand if you need to take a break for an hour or a day.
For group of less than six travellers we have a single leader that drives the support vehicle alongside the group. For larger groups, we have a separate driver and the leader will cycle all routes. Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a backmarker.
As our riding is done mostly on sealed roads with the occasional gravel cycle path there are no technical cycling skills required – but given the occasional hills involved, we do suggest practicing riding downhill so you are comfortable with this once the trip begins. If you feel like doing all the riding but with less effort, you have the option of hiring an electric bike (e-bike) on this trip.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle Maine & Acadia National Park trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip starts at 1pm in Day 1 and finishes on arrival into Portland at 4pm on Day 6.
2. A Single Supplement may be available on this trip, please ask your booking agent for more information.
3. Bicycle hire is included in your trip price. Please advise your height at time of booking so we can organise a suitable sized bike.
4. Bike helmets are compulsory on this trip. We are unable to hire bike helmets locally so please ensure you bring your own bike helmet from home.
5. For groups of less than 6 clients we have a single leader that drives the support vehicle alongside the group. For larger groups, we have a driver plus a leader that rides with the group.
6. Accommodation is not included on day 6 of this trip. If you require additional accommodation (or want to reserve your room for the main part of the day) please enquire at time of booking.
7. Due to Covid-19 restrictions some of the local attractions may be temporarily closed, running reduced hours, or require booking ahead. Please check their websites for up-to-date opening hours.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information