Follow the path of the Andes in South America on a 35-day adventure that hits both modern cities and ancient worlds. Spot birdlife circling canyons and search for signs of life in vast salt flats and lunar deserts scapes. Get acquainted with the local cultures at La Paz’s markets and the homes on the floating islands of Lake Titicaca. Learn the mysteries of the Nazca lines, wander the streets of Cusco and trek to the mighty Machu Picchu. With stops at Lima, Cusco and vibrant Buenos Aires and a local to lead the way, your South American adventure is jam-packed with fascinating experiences and plenty of space for independent travel.
Dates and availability
1. Inca Trail permits are sold on request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavour to secure a permit for you.
If Inca Trail permits are unavailable by the time you book, you can opt to hike the Inca Quarry Trail instead https://www.intrepidtravel.com/machu-picchu-peru/quarry-trail
The Inca Trail closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February you will be automatically booked to hike the Inca Quarry Trail.
Should you choose not to hike at all, please let us know in writing at the time of booking so alternative arrangements can be made. Without this prior warning, local fees may apply.
2. Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude - regardless of your age, gender and fitness. It even happened to Sir Edmund Hillary!
Please read the following document carefully and, during your trip, utilise the table on the back daily to record your own perspective of your general health and any symptoms you may experience:
3. This trip is a combination of three of our most popular departures. As such the make up of your group and your tour leader may change on Day 21.
4. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 9, 22 (Overnight bus), Days 11, 12, 13 (Camping), Day 18 (Homestay) and Days 27, 28 (Dormitory) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
5. Nationals from the United States need a visa to enter Bolivia and you we highly recommend you obtain this visa in advance from your nearest Bolivian consulate or Embassy. Not obtaining the visa in advance is likely to cause long delays at the border. Please see the visa information in the Essential Trip Information for more details.
6. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase Entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.
7. While hiking the 4 Day Inca Trail or the 3 Day Inca Quarry trail portion of this trip you may be joined by other Intrepid and/or non-Intrepid travellers.
8. This trip includes one visit to Machu Picchu. According to Machu Picchu visiting regulations, all visitors must follow a pre-determined route within the site. This route must be followed in one direction only, and once the guided visit commences exiting and re-entering the site is not permitted. Once the guided visit concludes, visitors must exit the site and personal exploration of Machu Picchu is not permitted. Please refer to the itinerary for details.
9. As you can choose different ways of reaching Machu Picchu (Inca Trail, Quarry Trail or Train), there is a small chance you may be the only traveller on your selected option.
Filter by rating