Explore South Africa's abundant wildlife, Zulu culture and dramatic scenery
Travel through South Africa and Swaziland, combining cultural and wildlife experiences. The tour starts with an introduction to South Africa’s most famous township, Soweto, before heading out into the wilderness. Once on the road you’ll stop at a Zulu village and experience activities such as hiking, kayaking and rafting before arriving at Kruger National Park for unbelievable wildlife watching.
This trip visits a great spread of Southern African game reserves, putting you right in the midst of the mighty 'Big Five' game of Africa
Camp at Kruger National Park under the African night sky. Experience the sights and sounds of the wild, perhaps the roar of a lion as you drift off to sleep
A Zulu village tour introduces you to a fascinating tribal culture. You might learn about anything from spear-making and bone-throwing to dancing and basket-weaving
Beautifully lit by candles and parafin lanterns, your spacious campsite in Hlane National Park is just a stone's throw from a floodlit waterhole frequented by elephants and rhinos
Enjoy a guided hike at Blyde River Canyon, where the spectacular colours and shades of Bourke's Luck Potholes are a photographer's dream
This trip quite a bit of distance, with two particularly long days of travel. A good dose of patience will go a long way towards your enjoyment of these beautiful countries.
This is a participatory camping trip and everyone will embrace the team spirit by helping with camp setup, food preparation and cleaning. You will be putting up and taking down your tent as you move from place to place
Malaria is a risk in these areas, so it's essential to consult a doctor about relevant medication prior to your trip.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2018 to 31 December 2018. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2019 - 31 December 2019
1) Please note that these trips are for adults and children travelling together and there must be at least one child under 18 with you.
2) Minimum age for children on this trip is 10 years old.
3) A discount of 10% applies on this trip to children under 17 years of age at time of travel.
4) Start/Finish time: This trip starts at noon on Day 1 and ends at approximately 3pm on day 12 at Johannesburg international airport. Please do not book any flights until after 8pm.
5) Entry Requirements - Travelling with Children: Parents need to produce an original unabridged birth certificate if they are travelling with children. This regulation has been put in place to protect children from being abducted, kidnapped and trafficked. The Department of Home Affairs has urged all parents to apply for unabridged certificates for their children. Additionally, further documentation including permission to travel, may be required if only one parent is travelling. These are requirements of the immigration regulation 6 (12)(a) for parents travelling with children. More information can be found here: http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/civic-services/traveling-with-children
6) A Single Supplement is available on this trip, please ask your booking agent for more information.
PACKING NOTE: you will need to bring your own sleeping bag, pillow and towel.
Our South Africa Family Safari with teenagers trips score an average of 4.58 out of 5 based on 31 reviews in the last year.
An enjoyable and well scheduled trip. Relaxing for parents and fun for kids. Animal safaris mixed with educational cultural experiences and active outdoors activities. Our driver and leader cooked great meals and shared much information with us. Plan to spend on the optional activities as they complement the standard package. Note: the Hlane Bird Walk is for children 13 years and over, and if you stay at Kosi Bay Lodge they offer a sunset boat ride 350R per person. You WILL stay in tents and have a couple of EARLY mornings. Embrace this as rising early will increase your time to look for animals. Can't say whether it was more fun to ride a bicycle about Soweto, see a bloodied Lion pride, or admire the scenery while someone else did the driving. Thanks Intrepid.
Review submitted 19 Sep 2018
An enjoyable and wonderful experience. Mixture of basic camping and stays at lodges. Good food and organised trips mixing safari with sight-seeing to experience the wonders of this great country. Advertised and appropriate for teenage children, not younger kids.
Review submitted 27 Aug 2018