Safaris, killer coastline and local interactions on a southern Africa adventure
Experience the diversity of southern Africa on a nine-day adventure that takes you to wildlife-rich game parks, idyllic beaches, wetlands and small villages, exploring with a local leader along the way. Search for lions in Kruger National Park, enjoy a homestay in Zululand, relax on the sands of Ponta Malognane and more. A mixture of included activities and free time make this tour perfect for travellers who want the benefit of on-the-ground local knowledge with some of the freedom of independent travel.
Go on an epic safari with expert local guides in search of lions, hyenas and more through Kruger National Park – one of the largest game reserves in southern Africa.
Go overland in a purpose built truck and stop to take in geological wonders like Bourke’s Luck Potholes and God’s Window along the Panorama Route.
Spend a few days however you please on the white-sand beaches of Mozambique’s Ponta Malongane. Snorkel? Sun? Seafood feast? The choice is yours.
Visit the heartlands of the Zulu people and spend the night in a homestay, where you’ll be treated to traditional food and song, plus a meeting with the local healer.
Swap four wheels for two legs on a guided hike through the Hlane Royal National Park, keeping an eye out for antelopes and zebras passing by.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent (unless you’re on an Original or Comfort style trip), occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/africa/overland
While a homestay in Zululand is a unique and rewarding experience, the conditions are basic – foam mattresses on the floor, with up to six people (of the same gender) per room. Clean linen and pillows are provided. Hot water is not available on this night.
There will be many early starts either to make better use of the safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
You may also want to check out our Kruger, Coast & Cape trip if you have longer time to explore in southern Africa.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This trip finishes on arrival in Durban on Day 9. Please do not book any flights before 7 pm this evening.
3.On occasion, especially during the peak months of May to September and December we are not able to secure campsites within the Kruger National Park. In this instance we will camp at a backpackers outside the park.
4.The minimum age for this trip is 15 at the time of travel. Any travellers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian, or in lieu of a legal guardian, by an escort over the age of 18, appointed by their legal guardian. The legal guardian or their designee will be responsible for the traveller under the age of 18 day to day’s care. If a legal guardian elects to designate an escort in their lieu, they will be required to complete and sign a relevant document, to delegate their authority.
5. BORDER CROSSINGS ON THIS TRIP:
Exit South Africa - Jeppe's Reef
Enter Swaziland - Matsamo
Exit Swaziland - Matsamo
Enter South Africa - Matsamo
Enter Mozambique - Ponta do Ouro
Exit Mozambique - Ponta do Ouro
Enter South Africa - Kosi Bay
6. Border crossing delays in the region have been sporadic and difficult to predict as travel rebounds. What takes an hour one day may take four hours the next. This may affect the order of activities in the itinerary. We understand this uncertainty can be frustrating, and we strongly recommend packing a bit of patience and flexibility.
7. TRIP CHANGE 2023: Please note that this itinerary will be changing from April 1st 2023 and will no longer be travelling through Mozambique. Visa requirements change frequently, and border crossings have become notoriously challenging. Feedback from our travellers, crew, and local operations team indicate that it is no longer viable on this itinerary. All impacted customers will be notified shortly and updated itinerary will be available online.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information