Ancient cultures, incredible food, jungle trails and sloth spotting
Raise glass of mezcal to the diversity of Mexico, then embrace ‘pura vida’ (the simple life) in the rainforests and on the beaches of Costa Rica. Discover history in the ruins of Chichen Itza, then visit a contemporary Maya village to see how ancient Mesoamerican traditions have evolved. Savour simple fare during lunch with a Zapotec family and sip smoky mezcal at a distillery in Oaxaca. Unwind in a small village near Corcovado National Park, hiking jungle trails in the morning and cooling off in the waters of the Osa Peninsula in the afternoon. Explore sloth country (AKA Manuel Antonio National Park) and match their leisurely pace as you relax among natural splendour of Costa Rica. Ancient cultures, incredible food, wildlife and wilderness – this 22-day trip has it all.
Get up close and personal with the country's diverse heritage, from the magnificent Aztec temples of Teotihuacan to the brightly-dressed Maya folk of the hills of San Cristobal.
Compare Mexico City's heady street-food scene to the subtler fare found in Oaxaca.
Take in the atmosphere and culture of San Jose: Costa Rica’s bustling capital nestled between the mountains and volcanoes.
Hike to San Pedrillo in Corcovado National Park and explore one of the world's most biodiverse regions.
Swim at white-sand beaches in Manuel Antonio National Park, after searching for exotic birdlife in the depths of the jungle.
Learn about the trade of one of Costa Rica’s largest exports: coffee. Take a visit to a family's coffee farm and learn the process from cherry to cup (with a tasting, of course).
Discover the diverse and unique wildlife of Costa Rica: butterflies, birds, iguanas, sloths and caimans, to name a few.
Some included activities, such as guided tours of archaeological sites can involve a lot of walking. Please ensure you bring sturdy walking shoes and comfortable clothes. To make the most of the trip, it's best if you have at least a moderate level of fitness.
This trip includes time spent travelling in a private vehicle with your group. Extra space can be tight, and conditions may feel a little cramped. It’s all part of the adventure and a great way to get to know your fellow travellers. There are a few long days of travel, as you'll be covering a lot of ground. You will, however, make stops at interesting locations to break up the longer drives. Please read the itinerary carefully for travel time estimates.
The tropical climate of Central America means conditions can be hot and humid. Always carry plenty of water with you and stay hydrated, especially on walking tours. There will of course be plenty of chances to swim!
It's a good idea to learn as many Spanish words as you can. Locals are very friendly, but can be shy, so you'll need to make an effort to break the ice. It's a great way to show respect and involve yourself in their culture.
With so much to see and do, Costa Rica can sometimes be expensive. Expect to pay more than you would in mainland USA for a lot of things.
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights on your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. For the included internal flight ticket, please provide your full name exactly as per passport at the time of booking or at least 45 days prior to travel. Airline luggage restrictions will apply.
4. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
5. To save you money and the hassle of booking multiple trips, this journey is a combination of some of our most popular adventures. Your leader and the composition of your group may change with the start of each adventure.
6. Your flight from Cancun to San Jose, along with mid-trip airport transfers are included to help ease your independent connection between the trips.
- A transfer is included from the Playa del Carmen hotel to Cancun airport.
- A transfer is included from San Jose airport to your hotel.
7. Please be careful when booking flights from San Jose; make sure you fly out of Juan Santamaria International Airport [SJO]. Please do not book flights from Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport [SJC] as this is located in California, United States.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information