Intrepid wins global environmental award
We’re very proud to announce that Intrepid Travel has won the Preservation category of the prestigious Condé Nast Traveler World Savers Awards, with our far-reaching commitment to carbon management and low impact travel attracting the nod from the judges. The Preservation category is awarded to a travel company for, “Championing heritage, greening the planet”.
This is the fifth time that Intrepid’s Environmental Management Policy has been recognised, having previously received:
– 2011 Winner, Global Tourism Business Award, Tourism for Tomorrow Awards
– 2011 Highly Commended, Best Low Carbon Initiative, Virgin Holidays Responsible Travel Awards 2011
– 2010 Finalist The International Ecotourism Society Innovation Awards
– 2009 Budget Travel Magazine’s ‘Extra Mile Award’ for Intrepid Travel’s Carbon Offset Trips
Judges acknowledged Intrepid’s achievement of becoming Carbon Neutral in 2010 by reaching ambitious targets to neutralize emissions from our offices, trips and flights. As a result, in 2010/2011, Intrepid Travel’s businesses produced a total of 2,887 tonnes of CO2 emissions, which have been offset. Intrepid also purchased $232,200 of carbon credits to offset trips and passenger flights.
Intrepid’s commitment to travel that takes travellers to the heart of a destination without having a negative impact was also highlighted by the judges. Our use of local leaders, public transport wherever possible and real life experiences such as homestays were highlighted.
The judges also mentioned The Intrepid Foundation, which celebrates 10 years of giving in 2012 and in this time has given over AU$3 million to community projects around the world. Intrepid Travel pays all the administration costs of The Intrepid Foundation and matches donations dollar for dollar.*
* Up to AU$400,000 in each financial year and a maximum of AU$5,000 in total per donor in each financial year.
* photo by Scott Davey – Intrepid Photography Competition