Feast your eyes on the wilds of East Africa
Dive into a lesser-known Africa on this 19-day trip from the east of Tanzania through Malawi, Zambia and to Zimbabwe. Begin on the pristine beaches of Zanzibar's northern coastline, then travel though rolling savanna and wide-open plains on a series of game drives and hikes. Get close to incredible wildlife in remote nature reserves and emrabce local hospitality in the regional cities and traditional villages along the way. Take on this eye-opening African overland adventure with a local crew to guide you to the best of the region, all shared with a small group of travellers ready to explore.
Chill out on the northern beaches of Zanzibar, enjoying white sand and sparkling blue sea of the Indian Ocean, and spend some time discovering the island's hub at Stone Town.
Discover the magic of South Luangwa National Park on a morning safari game drive. This park is a highly concentrated arena of noble African beasts and exotic wildflowers.
Get a chance to explore the largest ruins in sub-Saharan Africa – the World Heritage-listed Great Zimbabwe, thought to be the former palace of an ancient monarch.
Discover the history and heritage of local communities – including the San People – with guided cultural walks and a knowledgeable local leader to provide insights.
Choose from a range of optional activities at Victoria Falls so you can see the cascades the way you want, and maybe treat yourself to a helicopter ride.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/africa/overland
There are many optional activities on this trip. Please take this into consideration when budgeting for this trip.
The overland vehicle is large enough to seat up to 22 passengers and carries all the camping equipment needed for the duration of this trip.
Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip. To see what you're missing out on check out our Kenya to Vic Falls trip. Search trip code YXOVC on the Intrepid website for more information and to book.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This trip starts with a welcome meeting at 2pm on Day 1 in Stone Town. This trip ends on Day 19 and you are free to leave at any time.
3. This trip is a combination of YXON and YXOR of our most popular itineraries. As such the make up of your group and your leader may change on Day 4.
4. Please note the Zanzibar portion of your itinerary may have a few more passengers than the maximum group size of 22 as we have a crossover of trips starting and finishing in Zanzibar.
5. Our operator has advised that customers with the J&J vaccine and no booster may have difficulty crossing the border into Botswana (and potentially Zimbabwe) without a negative test result. This information conflicts with various government travel advice websites. We recommend you check with your local consulate before travel to ensure you have the most up to date information.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information