An overland exploration in the wilds of East Africa
Head on an action-packed adventure direct to East Africa’s biggest and best. Spend 27 unforgettable days spotting the Big Five in the vast plains of the Serengeti and deep in the Ngorongoro Crater, hiking the lush Usambara Mountains in search of the longest horizons, and lolling about Zanzibar’s pristine beaches, fragrant spice plantations and historic Stone Town. You’ll be accompanied by a crew of a local leader, driver and cook, on hand to offer their recommendations and make your overland journey a whole lot easier. And with a handful of likeminded travellers joining you each step of the way, your Lonely Planet Experience through Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe is sure to be pretty memorable, if you ask us.
Don't wait - plan your next people and planet-friendly adventure with just € 99* this March. Offer ends March 31.Terms & Conditions
Embark on an unforgettable safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof vehicle with your small group for a chance to see the endangered black rhinoceros in full view.
Chill out on the northern beaches of Zanzibar enjoying white sand and sparkling blue sea of the Indian Ocean, perhaps taking up the chance to visit the island’s famed spice plantations.
Discover the magic of South Luangwa National Park on a morning safari game drive. This park is a highly concentrated arena of noble African beasts and exotic wildflowers.
Get a chance to explore the largest ruins in sub-Saharan Africa – the World Heritage-listed Great Zimbabwe, thought to be the former palace of an ancient monarch.
Discover the history and heritage of local communities – including the San People – with guided cultural walks and a knowledgeable local leader to provide insights.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/africa/overland
Camp in the Serengeti National Park itself without fences between you and the animals. Your leader will brief you on the safety measures the group will need to take for the two nights spent in the park.
At Usambara Mountains the group will do a an easy hike to the beautiful Irente viewpoint.
The overland vehicle is large enough to seat up to 22 passengers and carries all the camping equipment needed for the duration of this trip.
Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip. To see what you're missing out on check out our Gorillas to Vic Falls trip. Search trip code YXOIC on the Intrepid website for more information and to book.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. An optional sunrise balloon ride in the Serengeti National Park is possible on this itinerary. Please see the itinerary above for full details of this activity. As the balloon only holds 16 people, places are limited, and we recommend you book in advance. Please inquire when booking your trip to book this optional activity.
3. This trip is a combination of YXON, YXOP and YXOR of our most popular itineraries. As such the make up of your group and your leader may change on Days 9 and 12.
4. Please note the Zanzibar portion of your itinerary may have a few more passengers than the maximum group size of 22 as we have a crossover of trips starting and finishing in Zanzibar.
5. This trip finishes in Victoria Falls after breakfast on Day 27. However, if you wish to enjoy some of the optional activities on offer perhaps consider an evening flight or an additional night here.
6. Our operator has advised that customers with the J&J vaccine and no booster may have difficulty crossing the border into Botswana (and potentially Zimbabwe) without a negative test result. This information conflicts with various government travel advice websites. We recommend you check with your local consulate before travel to ensure you have the most up to date information.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information