your planet needs you!
To make a big difference to your planet this Earth Day, consider one of the following outstanding conservation projects through The Intrepid Foundation.
You can help support:
The fabulous making of essential school kits out of trash in Bihar, India through GOONJ; help save endangered turtles in Vietnam through work at Cuc Phuong National Park; support the restoration of the habitat of extraordinary wildlife on the island of Floriana in the Galapagos through The Charles Darwin Foundation; help keep families in remote villages of Peru healthy through the provision of ceramic water filters, or help the Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre rescue endangered Asiatic black bears from the illegal wildlife trade in Laos.
Plus every day is Earth Day at the fabulous Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity (ACCB) in Cambodia. Intrepid funds are being used towards the building of an education trail – an informative and interactive eco walk within the grounds of the ACCB, providing visitors with an educational insight into Cambodian wildlife and conservation issues.
We’re also helping towards the running costs of ACCB’s newly established Eco Clubs which operate fantastic environmental education activities with the best students from their environmental lessons at local schools.
The Eco Club’s recent activities have included:
– constructing and painting papier-mache decoys of Bengal Floricans, (a very rare bustard) learning the difference in plumage between male and female birds of the same species, as well as comparing with other bird species.
– participating in a composting presentation and starting to build their own compost mounds at their respective schools.
– in March all Eco Club groups took part in an introduction to forestry presentation and a flora identification field walk at Kbal Spean, next to ancient Angkorian stone ruins.
With funds raised through The Intrepid Foundation, this year’s plans are for Eco Club participants to design and build a butterfly garden, attend flora and fauna painting workshops and learn about waste disposal and recycling. With Cambodia’s population nudging 15 million people this places real pressure on the country’s forests and wildlife, so supporting the education of young Cambodians in environmental protection is a marvellous investment in their future.
These projects and many more are all detailed at www.theintrepidfoundation.org. And remember, any financial contributions you can make will be doubly beneficial with Intrepid Travel matching* your contributions!
* Intrepid Travel will match your donation dollar for dollar up to AU$5,000 per donor and a total of AU$300,000 for all donors in each financial year.
* photo courtesy of ACCB Eco Club