A big year for gender equality!
2013 has been a big year for Intrepid’s Project SAMA. We have been busy, reaching out to over 10,500 people about the issues around gender inequality and we have raised over AU$92,000 for projects around the world that address these issues.
Intrepid’s Project SAMA hosted two fundraising trips up Mt Kilimanjaro, which saw our hikers raise over AU$30,000 for our early education project in Uganda, in partnership with Plan, an Intrepid Foundation partner. And we hosted a Gala evening and a number of events that raised over AU$30,000 for our other Plan run early education project in Laos.
In Uganda our fundraising efforts contributed to:
– Supporting 2,901 children access quality early education programs
– Assisting 605 children to successfully transition from early learning programs to primary school
– Training 58 caregivers on inclusive practices – ensuring girls are given the same opportunities as boys
– Supporting 336 parents to participate in parenting groups
– Providing health education sessions for 87 parents
In Laos our fundraising efforts contributed to:
– Supporting the enrolment of 9,351 primary school children aged 6–8 years
– Training 14 preschool teachers from 3 districts on age-appropriate child friendly teaching methodology and positive discipline
– Training 272 volunteers in parenting education and maternal and child health and nutrition
– Engaging 1,449 parents in parenting education sessions
– Increasing parents’ knowledge of child rearing, including importance of vaccinations, nutrition and providing time and materials for children to play.
In 2013, Project SAMA also committed to supporting eight of The Intrepid Foundation Community Projects focused on education and health programs for women and girls. Intrepid staff enthusiastically came on board and collectively raised over AU$30,000 for these projects located in Intrepid Travel destinations. See our projects page for more information about each of these programs.
Our plans for 2014 are to continue supporting these 10 projects, so stay tuned for ways in which you can help Project SAMA achieve its gender equality goals!
Keep updated with Project SAMA on Facebook – facebook.com/intrepidsama
It’s on again! We’ll have Kili climbs for SAMA in August/September 2014. Watch out for the full details in January.
Photo © PLAN: Children in Plan supported early learning centres in Uganda read books during free play.