Be mesmerised by the richness of Iranian culture and scenery
Conservative and unconventional, deeply religious and deeply surprising, Iran doesn’t fit into any easy pigeonhole. Spend two weeks following the ancient Silk Road through this under-touristed country to discover refined Islamic cities, colourful bazaars, ancient ruins, fascinating nomadic cultures and shimmering deserts. Whether you're relaxing in a teahouse in Tehran, enjoying guided tours of ancient cultural sites, or breaking bread with locals on the harsh Iranian plateau, the warmth and hospitality of the Iranian people is endearing, and the profound beauty of their land is mesmerising.
Discover an Iran beyond the media portrayals of a repressive and dour regime – this is a country full of warm, lively and friendly people.
Explore the rich history told in the ancient ruins that lie across the country, many of which sit in remote and isolated landscapes that only add to their magic.
Experience the wondrous remains of the ancient capital of Persepolis – the scale and grandeur will leave you in no doubt that this was once the centre of the known world.
Immerse yourself in rural nomadic life with a remote homestay with the Qashqai people in Fars Province, enjoying meals, stories and songs.
Slip into the heeled-sandals of a Silk Road merchant with an overnight stay in a classic 16th-century caravanserai, located in the vast salt desert of Zein-o-din.
Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. It is very important that before you sign up for this tour you are committed to following a strict dress code (particularly for women) in what may be quite warm weather. Women must wear a headscarf and must also have their arms and legs covered. Men must also be conservatively dressed with arms and legs covered.
Alcohol is strictly forbidden in Iran and severe penalties will be incurred by anyone attempting to bring it into the country. Drug laws are also extremely strict, and travellers face lengthy jail terms if caught. As a foreigner, you will likely be whisked through customs but note that random bag checks do occur.
This trip has some wonderful accommodations experiences that really immerse you in the culture of Iran. For this reason, on three nights there is no single supplement available, as we stay in unique accommodations like a restored caravanserai, the home of a nomadic family and an eco-lodge. These are all basic with limited or shared facilities
You’ll find many of the spectacular ruins and sites in Iran are not managed as tightly as you may be used to. The pathways around some of the sites may be uneven, rocky or dusty. Some of the guided trips may involve quite a lot of walking in remote locations where you will be exposed to the elements. Please bring comfortable walking shoes and be prepared with hats, sunscreen, water or layers for cooler weather.
Iran is a big country and this trip covers a lot in two weeks. Be prepared to sit back in your private vehicle (or on a train) and watch the scenery go by on some long travel days.
Please note that we use a local supplier for your arrival transfer. As tourism is a developing industry in Iran, it is possible your driver will not speak English.
Getting a visa for Iran can be a frustrating and time-consuming process. It may take a couple of weeks to get your authorisation code, and then it can take up to 30 days to receive your visa back from the embassy or consulate. Rules can and do change often – this is the nature of the destination. We are here to help you through it.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Iran Adventure trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 4 (Guesthouse), Day 7 (Homestay) and Day 8 (Eco-lodge) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability.
2. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm on Day 1 in Tehran. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
3. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
4. US, British and Canadian passport holders will need to book this trip at least 3 months before departure as this is the length of time it takes to process a visa for these nationalities. The application for the visa should be made at the time of booking or at least 3 months prior to the departure date. There may also be further travel restrictions that apply to these nationalities including restrictions for when you can arrive and depart. Please see the visa section in this essential trip information below for more details and ensure you discuss options with your booking agent before confirming non-refundable airfares. Please see our online visa information for more details. Simply select the relevant nationality in the drop-down list to access detailed visa information http://www.intrepidtravel.com/iran-visa-application-form
5. Travelers cannot use debit or credit cards while in Iran. You will need to bring all the money you will need for your entire trip with you. Please read through the money matters section of your essential trip information for further details
6. This itinerary has many included activities and free time for you to rest, relax or discover. Please keep in mind that under the regulations of the Iranian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, US, UK and Canadian travelers must be accompanied by a local host (Intrepid's local Operator) on all activities. For this reason, your Tour Leader may suggest optional activities during this free time that are organized by our Operator at your own expense. Alternately this free time is the perfect opportunity to relax in your hotel.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information