All visitors to Mexico require a tourist permit, but not all need a visa. The fees associated with both depend on the visitor’s nationality, how they are entering country and for what length they are staying.

Tourist permits

The Mexican tourist permit is not a visa and is obtained by filling in a multiple immigration form (FMM). This form can be either be completed online before departure or once you’ve arrived in Mexico. It will be stamped by Mexican immigration on entering Mexico and must be kept until departure.

Citizens of the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and any country involved in the Schengen Agreement can enter Mexico with a tourist permit and no visa. The maximum stay is 180 days.

The fee for a tourist permit is approximately MXN 500 (USD 27) and this will be included in the cost of your ticket if you are arriving by commercial flight.

If arriving by land, you will need to arrange to pay the fee with immigration, unless you are staying for less than seven days, in which case it is free. Most border crossings will have banks where you can pay the fee immediately.


Travellers of some nationalities may need to apply for a visa before travelling to Mexico. These countries currently include, but are not limited to, China, South Africa, India and Russia. Note that visas are not required for these travellers if they hold a valid visa for the US, Canada or a Schengen country.

Visas are the responsibility of the individual traveller. Entry requirements can change at any time, so it's important that you check for the latest information. Please visit the relevant consular website of the country or countries you’re visiting for detailed and up-to-date visa information specific to your nationality. Check the Essential Trip Information section of the itinerary for more information.

Return to Mexico FAQs