African adventures of the safari and coastal kind
Travel from Zanzibar's pristine coastline to the southern hub of Cape Town with Lonely Planet and Intrepid to see an array of amazing African vistas. Sample the exotic flavours of Africa's 'Spice Island', relax on Kande Beach at Lake Malawi, scale the sand dunes in Sossusvlei, glide through the Okavango Delta by local mokoro and keep your eyes peeled for elephants, hippos, crocodiles and lions on your multiple included game drives. With an expert local leader and a small group of eager travellers joining you each step of the way, this incredible adventure will open your eyes to the natural beauty of southern Africa.
Chill out on the northern beaches of Zanzibar, enjoying white sand and sparkling blue sea of the Indian Ocean, and stroll the cobbled streets of Stone Town.
Listen to the songs and stories of Namibia’s San people, the oldest inhabitants of southern Africa, and gain an insight into their traditional customs and beliefs.
Enjoy a full-day game drive in Etosha National Park, home to a wide range of southern Africa's wildlife, including the endangered black rhino.
Choose from a range of optional activities at Victoria Falls so you can see the cascades the way you want, and maybe treat yourself to an unforgettable helicopter ride.
Discover the magic of South Luangwa National Park on a morning safari game drive. This park is a highly concentrated arena of noble African beasts and exotic wildflowers.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/africa/overland
We use mokoros (small dugout canoes) to pass through the shallow waterways of the Okavango Delta to get to our campsite for the night.
The overland vehicle is large enough to seat up to 22 passengers and carries all the camping equipment needed for the duration of this trip.
Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip. To see what you're missing out on check out our Kenya to Cape Town trip.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 25 (Camping) and Days 32,33,34 (Chalets) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This trip is a combination of YXOF, YXON and YXOR of our most popular itineraries. As such the make up of your group and your leader may change on Day 4 and 19.
3. The Zanzibar portion of your itinerary may have a few more passengers than the maximum group size of 22 as we have a crossover of trips starting and finishing in Zanzibar.
4. This trip starts in Stone Town on Day 1 at 2pm. This allows time after the welcome meeting to explore Stone Town.
This trip finishes upon arrival in Cape Town on Day 40. Please do not book any flights until after 7pm this evening.
5. Our operator has advised that customers with the J&J vaccine and no booster may have difficulty crossing the border into Botswana (and potentially Zimbabwe) without a negative test result. This information conflicts with various government travel advice websites. We recommend you check with your local consulate before travel to ensure you have the most up to date information.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information