Discover diverse culture in the Japan of old and new
Experience Japan’s perfect harmony of ancient tradition and modern way of life on a 12-day Premium adventure through the cultural heart of the country. Tokyo’s soaring skyscrapers give way to Hakone’s mountainous hot springs, while Takayama delights with its Edo-era beauty and Shirakawa-go immerses you in charming countryside life. Discover the intriguing cultural diversity of Kyoto and a passion for peace in Hiroshima. Travel with a local leader who will share the rich variety of their country as you visit temples, castles, shrines and holy mountains while mixing with locals and experiencing the real Japan.
Marvel at the city lights of Tokyo during a guided tour, visit the sobering Hiroshima Peace Park and trace the steps of the Geisha around the alleyways of Kyoto.
Soak up Japan’s natural beauty in mountainous Hakone and catch a glimpse of Mt Fuji, stroll around the stunning island of Miyajima and be amazed by the Japanese alps in the ancient village of Shirakawa-go.
There’s no better way to get around Japan than the country’s famous railway system. Be impressed by the efficiency and ultra-modernity as you zip from place to place with your included 7-day Japan Rail Pass.
Get to know Japan’s world-renowned cuisine during a seafood cooking class, tours of vibrant local markets, a sake tasting session and a number of dinners at fantastic local restaurants.
Unwind among the beauty of nature at your feature stay accommodation, featuring mountain views, a traditional ryokan design, modern comforts and an outdoor onsen (thermal pool) overlooking the surrounding greenery.
Japan is best to explore on foot. In fact, most travellers are surprised at how much distance they end up covering just exploring places on foot! Make sure your shoes are comfy and you are fit enough to spend most of each day on your feet.
This trip travels primarily on public transport, as it is so efficient and convenient in Japan. Fast trains are used to move between cities, as well as public buses and metro. In order to make the travel easy, we have included luggage transfer (one piece of luggage) between destinations. But please ensure you are still packing light for the trip.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Premium Japan trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A complimentary airport arrival shared shuttle transfer is included, only valid if arriving on Day 1. Please provide your flight details at the time of booking, or at a minimum 30 days prior to travel, as we may not be able to confirm a request made within 30 days of travel. Only one piece of big luggage is included for the shuttle bus transfer. Additional charge will apply if there are more luggage to take on the shuttle transfer.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. We are currently unable to offer pre and post tour accommodation at our trip hotels in Japan. Should you be arriving earlier or departing later, please make your own arrangements at a hotel of your choice.
4. A 7 day Japan Rail Pass is included in the price of your trip (validated on Day 4). For those wishing to stay and travel longer in Japan after the trip, a Japan Rail Pass extension (total 14 days or 21 days) is available for purchase at time of booking. Please note that you can't purchase the rail pass or extension after arriving in Japan.
5. It is essential you pack light and compact for rail travel in Japan. One piece of big luggage is included for transfer from destination to destination on this trip. For any additional luggage to be transferred, additional charges will apply. There are size restrictions for luggage on Shinkansen trains if you plan to take them with you. Luggage over 160–250 cm may require an additional JPY1000 fee per train journey. Luggage over 251 cm will NOT be permitted on the Shinkansen trains. Please notify your group leader at the welcome meeting if your luggage is over 160–250 cm so they can help you make the necessary arrangements.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information