This blog was originally published on May 4 2016 and has been updated for accuracy.
The sounds of salsa beating through your body, the tantalising scent of chipotle and coriander wafting through the air and the smile of a local as they greet you with a friendly ‘hola’ in the streets. This is Mexico; in all its colourful, historic, delicious and joyful glory.
An adventure through Mexico is as diverse as it is exciting. From heading deep into the jungle to explore the ancient Maya pyramids of Calakmul to swimming in the secluded cenotes of the Yucatan Peninsula. Tasting local mezcal in Oaxaca or stuffing yourself to the brim with authentic tacos on the streets of Mexico City. It wouldn’t be a trip to Mexico without a refreshing dip at one of the stunning beaches (Tulum is especially picturesque with its jagged coastline and white sand) and dressing up and witnessing the festivities of Lucha Libre wrestling performance is a must.
All of this (and more) is what Mexico looks like on a small group tour with Intrepid Travel.
1. An Intrepid group at Calakmul – a Maya archaeological site located in the jungles of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula.
2. Intrepid leader, Valentina, shows the group the highlights of Mexico City.
3. Learning to make mole at a cooking class in Oaxaca.
4. The finished product – YUM!
5. Fun exploring the cactus garden in Oaxaca.
6. Sunsets always look better in an agave field in Valle de Tlacolula.
7. Mexico’s answer to smashed avo – the Mexican Eggs Benedict in trendy Bacalar.
8. From breakfast, to pure paradise. Who wouldn’t be thrilled by this view of Tulum’s gorgeous waters?
9. Or you could grab a mask and get involved with Lucha Libre, Mexico’s theatrical professional wrestling.
11. After that, a quick dip in the Nayha cenote is just what the doctor ordered.
12. And an ice cream in the pretty city of Izamal is another excellent way to cool down…
13. …. before yet another dip in Bacalar Lagoon.
14. Is there anything more Mexican than eating pineapple off a stick, covered in rainbow-coloured chilli salt? We think not…
Want to see Mexico for yourself? Check out our full range of small group tours around this beautiful country.