Sometimes a destination becomes so popular, so big for its own boots, that it can almost become its own cliché. After decades of hosting Australian and British hordes, it’d be easy to think Bali has little more to offer beyond lazy beach days, questionable hair braids and sentimental tattoos. Easy, but wrong.
Look beyond the popular resort hubs in Seminyak and Kuta and you’ll find an island rich with adventure, with its own history, culture and food distinct from Indonesia’s other 17,000 islands. And we’ve got the photos to prove it.
Get ready to feast your eyes on these amazing snaps taken on our Bali tours.
1. Kick things off with a fiery Kecak dance performance in Ubud.
2. Then douse the flames with a thrilling white-water raft down the Ayung river.
3. Learn how to order roadside takeaway with your local leader.
4. Take a walk through lush rice paddies in Sidemen.
5. And meet a few of the local artisans on the way.
6. Stop in at some of Bali’s most iconic temples, like Lempuyang.
7. And learn about Hinduism from local holy men.
8. Listen to tales from Balinese folklore at incredible water temples.
9. (And don’t forget to feed the fishies before you leave).
10. Refuel with delicious local food, including mie goreng, satay and babi guling.
11. With so much free time you could choose to pop on a snorkel and explore sunken ships in Amed.
12. Take a shower at a hidden waterfall.
13. Sit down for a gamelan music lesson.
14. Or unwind with an Ayurverdic yoga lesson.
15. In Kintamani you can explore the otherworldly volcanic landscapes by bike.
16. Climb Mt Batur for spectacular sunrise views over the island.
17. Then wash off the dust with a soothing soak at a hot spring.
18. The best bit is you can share it with your crew of new friends.
19. And sip sundowners at epic stays like these.
Ready to plan your trip? Check out our range of tours in Bali, or do some research with these articles.
- Bali in one week: the ultimate guide
- Why to consider solo travel in Bali (and what to expect)
- 8 must-dos in Ubud, the cultural heart of Bali
- Hiking Bali’s Mt Batur: everything you need to know
- 10 dishes you have to try in Indonesia
Feature photo by Damien Raggatt.