›You are hereHome›Cycling Trips
Want to swap city streets for mountain roads, impatient drivers for curious animals and dull tarmac for some of the most rideable scenery on the planet? Now it’s easy to get out into the world on two wheels. Whether you’re lycra clad and nose to the wind or simply a Sunday cyclist, we have cycling trips to suit your style.
About Intrepid cycling trips
Our cycling adventures span the gamut of two-wheeled challenges: from a leisurely ride through Vietnam to cycling across landscapes of Cuba. These pedal-powered itineraries cover cycling as part of a bigger active adventure or itineraries where you’ll be riding almost every day. We operate small group adventures that are led by experienced cycling leaders and are usually accompanied by a support vehicle.
You can choose to bring your bike from home or hire one locally, so please enquire about bike hire at time of booking or ensure that your own bike is appropriate for your particular trip. Also check the trip notes of the trip you’re on for more information.
Bringing your own bike – if you are a dedicated cyclist or just want to take your bike on a holiday, you can usually bring it along for the ride. You’ll need to box it up for transport on the plane: the easiest way to do this is to go to your local bike shop and ask if they will do it for you (a fee may apply). They often have boxes on hand from old stock and have the tools to remove the pedals and secure your handlebars. Airline fees will apply, so check with your airline about costs.
Hiring a bike – this can take the hassle out of your trip, as you don’t have to box your bike, readjust it on arrival, pay for its transportation and organise it to be taken to and from your hotel. We try to organise the very best hire bikes available, but we can’t guarantee they will be like the ones you’re used to at home. One suggestion is to take your own saddle (seat) or gel over-cover for comfort sake, and if you want to use cleats, bring your pedals too.
All airlines will have their own rules and fees when transporting bikes – make sure you contact the airline (preferably) before you pay for your flights to see what charges and requirements they have.
Before you go, you must box your bike for transport. See our section ‘taking your own bike vs. hiring one’ for more information.
On all of our cycling trips, your accommodation is pre-booked and your luggage is transferred from one point to the next. All you have to carry is water, and any snacks or gadgets you may want and a few layers to keep you dry and warm. This means you get to enjoy the best of cycling without any of the hassles.
We recommend that you have a reasonable level of fitness to ensure that you get the most out of your cycling trip. Try to commit to some type of physical training program around six weeks before you depart.
Here are some suggestions:
Aerobic exercise: running, distance cycling and the various aerobic classes offered at gyms (like pump, spin, zumba and circuit classes) all help to give you fitness and stamina.
Strength training: doing body weight training like pushups, squats, dips, lunges, etc. helps to build up your muscle strength, which is needed for hills (bootcamp sessions are perfect for this type of training).
While in many countries it isn’t law to use bike helmets, it is compulsory to ride with a helmet on all of our cycling trips. Please bring one with you, as you won’t be able to hire or purchase one at the beginning of your trip.
You’ll need a bike helmet and a lock, as well as:
• hand pump
• spare tubes, patches and glue
• tyre levers
• multi tool
• spare set of brake pads.
Some gear to make your ride more comfortable:
• lightweight cycling gear
• knicks (specialised cycling shorts)
• chamois cream
• comfortable cycling shoes
• cycling gloves
For some tips and ideas about what other gear to take, check out Intrepid’s Ultimate Packing List – you won’t need half of what’s mentioned but things like wet-weather gear, a hat, sunglasses, layers of clothing, head torch, water bottle and sunscreen are essential.
***Jess - Please make Ultimate Packing List a link to this:
Our cycling trips...
- Jump in the saddle for a two-wheeled adventure tour of Vietnam. Take in cultural delights in Hanoi, white sand beaches in Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh City's hustle and bustle.
- Jump aboard an active tour of Northern Thailand. Visit Bangkok, explore Chiang Mai, take a hilltribe trek and kayak down the historic River Kwai.
- Trekking in Chiang Mai, explore Thailand's lush jungle areas, go rafting on the Mae Taeng river - visit Thailand on an active adventure tour through Chiang Mai.
- An adrenaline charged tour of Turkey. Visit the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, tour Anzac Cove and hike the Turquoise Coast on a Turkey holiday like no other.
- Venture into the lush environs of Mai Chau and enjoy two days of cycling through remote villages, witnessing lush rice paddies and meeting colourful and welcoming hilltribe folk.
- Cycle Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama on a Central American cycling tour. Travel to Latin America and visit La Fortuna's Arenal Volcano, go sightseeing in Granada and relax in Bocas del Toro.
- Experience a Caribbean adventure. Travel to Havana, a classic Cuban city, relax on Caribbean beaches and explore Santa Clara. Get a taste of Central America on this Cuban highlights ride.
- Experience the cities, beaches and rural charms of the captivating island of Cuba from the seat of a bicycle. Visit Havana, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Santiago de Cuba and the site of the Bay of Pigs invasion.
Our small group style of travel means you’ll stay under the radar, travel the local way, eat the local way and sleep the local way.
Small groups, big adventures.
Create your account today to manage your subscriptions and user preferences in one place.
Your travel home online.
Log in here
For groups of all sizes, organise a special departure of one of our pre-existing adventures, or tailor-make an itinerary to one of our destinations around the world.
TICO #50020269 Intrepid Travel is a member of the Travel Council of Ontario