Four bewitching cultures with tens of thousands of years of history between them, the UK is a dynamic nation awash with distinct landscapes, a fascinating history and a diverse and multi-cultural society.
Our United Kingdom trips
Articles on United Kingdom
United Kingdom travel highlights
Wander the atmospheric streets of Edinburgh
Determine whether ‘Nessie’ is real in Loch Ness
Discover the grave of Macbeth on the Isle of Iona
United Kingdom holiday information
At a glance
Best time to visit United Kingdom
History and government
Top 5 British Subcultures
Health and Safety
United Kingdom travel FAQs
Australia: No - Not required
Belgium: No - Not required
Canada: No - Not required
Germany: No - Not required
Ireland: No - Not required
Netherlands: No - Not required
New Zealand: No - Not required
South Africa: Yes - in advance
Switzerland: No - Not required
UK: No - Not required
USA: No - Not required
Tipping isn’t expected but a tip for good service is always appreciated. Rounding up a taxi fare is commonplace.
Internet access is good in the UK, with internet cafes and Wi-Fi hotspots easily found in most cities and major towns.
Mobile phone coverage is generally very good in most parts of the UK, except perhaps in remote areas. Ensure global roaming is activated before you arrive.
Modern, flushable toilets are the standard in the UK.
Pint of beer = £3
Simple cafe lunch = £10
Nice meal in a restaurant = £30
Tap water is considered safe to drink unless otherwise marked.
Major credit cards are widely accepted by stores and hotels in the UK. Smaller cafes and shops may not accept credit cards, so ensure you carry enough cash to cover small purchases.
ATMs are very common in the UK, so finding one won't be a problem in most towns and cities.
Absolutely. All passengers travelling with Intrepid are required to purchase travel insurance before the start of their trip. Your travel insurance details will be recorded by your leader on the first day of the trip. Due to the varying nature, availability and cost of health care around the world, travel insurance is very much an essential and necessary part of every journey.
For more information on insurance, please go to: Travel Insurance
- 1 Jan New Year's Day
- 2 Jan New Year's Day (Substitute Day)
- 2 Jan 2nd January
- 3 Jan New Year's Day (Substitute Day)
- 17 Mar St Patrick's Day
- 14 Apr Good Friday
- 17 Apr Easter Monday
- 1 May Early May Bank Holiday
- 29 May Spring Bank Holiday
- 12 Jul Battle of the Boyne (Orangemen's Day)
- 7 Aug Summer Bank Holiday
- 28 Aug Summer Bank Holiday
- 30 Nov St. Andrew's Day
- 25 Dec Christmas Day
- 26 Dec Boxing Day
Please note these dates are for 2017. For a current list of public holidays in United Kingdom go to: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/united-kingdom/public-holidays
Intrepid is committed to travelling in a way that is respectful of local people, their culture, local economies and the environment. It's important to remember that what may be acceptable behaviour, dress and language in your own country, may not be appropriate in another. Please keep this in mind while travelling.
Top responsible travel tips for United Kingdom
- Be considerate of the UK’s customs, traditions, religion and culture.
- For environmental reasons, try to avoid buying bottled water. Fill a reusable water bottle or canteen with filtered water.
- Always dispose of litter thoughtfully, including cigarette butts.
- Shop for locally made products. Supporting local artisans helps keep traditional crafts alive and supports the local community.
- Refrain from supporting businesses that exploit or abuse endangered animals.
- Please ask and receive permission before taking photos of people, including children.