Be immersed in Finnish culture while walking the streets of Helsinki
Soak up a world-class collection of industrial, graphic and artistic design displays
Catch a ferry to Helsinki’s World Heritage-listed fortress, once an important defence point
Tipping isn't customary or expected in Finland and is generally left up to the discretion of the customer. If the service in a café or restaurant is exceptional, feel free to leave spare change or a small tip.
Travellers should be able to access the internet at cyber cafés and Wi-Fi hot spots in Finland's major cities and towns. Remote and rural areas will have less internet availability, so be prepared for this when travelling out of the city.
As the home of Nokia, mobile phone coverage is generally very good in Finland. Travellers should activate global roaming before leaving home.
Western-style, flushable toilets are the standard in Finland.
Cup of coffee = 3-4 Euro
Bottle of beer = 4-6 Euro
Bottle of mid-range wine = 10-12 Euro
Basic café lunch = 10-15 Euro
Dinner at a mid-range restaurant = 20-30 Euro
Tap water is considered safe to drink unless otherwise marked.
Major credit cards are accepted by most large shops and hotels in Finland. Smaller vendors may not accept credit cards, so carry enough cash to cover small purchases.
ATMs are commonly found in Finland's cities and urban areas. Remote regions will have less ATM availability, so prepare accordingly before travelling away from cities.
Absolutely. All passengers travelling with Intrepid are required to purchase travel insurance before the start of your trip. Your travel insurance details will be recorded by your leader on the first day of the trip. Due to the varying nature, availability and cost of health care around the world, travel insurance is very much an essential and necessary part of every journey.
For more information on insurance, please go to: Travel Insurance
Please note these dates are for 2017. For a current list of public holidays in Finland go to: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/finland/public-holidays
Intrepid is committed to travelling in a way that is respectful of local people, their culture, local economies and the environment. It's important to remember that what may be acceptable behaviour, dress and language in your own country, may not be appropriate in another. Please keep this in mind while travelling.
1. Be considerate of Finland’s customs, traditions, religion and culture.
2. For environmental reasons, try to avoid buying bottled water. Fill a reusable water bottle or canteen with filtered water.
3. Always dispose of litter thoughtfully, including cigarette butts.
4. Learn some of the local language and don't be afraid to use it - simple greetings will help break the ice.
5. Shop for locally made products. Supporting local artisans helps keep traditional crafts alive.
6. Refrain from supporting businesses that exploit or abuse endangered animals.
7. Please ask and receive permission before taking photos of people, including children.