Travel from Zimbabwe to South Africa via bewitching Botswana
Soak up the sights and sounds of peaceful waterholes, meandering creeks and mighty rivers on this refreshing African adventure. Some of the continent's most iconic animals call Southern Africa home, including elephants, rhinos, giraffes, hippos, crocodiles and ostriches. Explore the remote waterways of the extraordinary Okavango Delta in Botswana, be awed by the thunder of Zimbabwe's Victoria Falls and travel down the Chobe River at sunset as animals come out to play. The contrast of Africa's wild plains and bustling cities makes for an enriching and thrilling travel experience.
Besides being one of the world's most dazzling waterfalls, Victoria Falls offers a range of exciting activities, from nature walks to breathtaking scenic helicopter flights.
Visit the Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust and learn about the rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife, human-wildlife conflict and their role in anti-poaching.
A sunset cruise is the ultimate way to soak up the ambience of the Chobe River. Keep an eye out – and a camera at the ready – for elephants, cheetahs and lions frolicking on the shore.
Experience the untouched wilderness of Botswana's Okavango Delta, staying on a remote island bush camp. As night falls, the sounds of the African bush are like nothing else.
Support local conservation efforts by joining local rangers in the Khama Rhino Sanctuary, the only place left in Botswana where both black and white rhinos reside.
Cycle through the colourful streets of Soweto and hear first-hand stories of the township’s colourful history.
On this trip you will be accompanied by 3 crew members - Group Leader, Driver and a cook. Your crew are responsible for setting up camp and preparing your meals so you can take extra time to relax at the end of your day.
Camping beds/stretchers, sleeping bags, blankets and pillows are provided for camping nights to provide an extra level of comfort.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent (unless you’re on an Original or Comfort style trip), occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the ‘big five’. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
Camping out in the amazing Okavango wilderness means digging a bush toilet and going without a shower. It's all part of the delta experience.
You will need a reasonable level of fitness for the cycle tour in Soweto, as the town isn't totally flat.
The African wild comes alive at sunrise, so there will be some early starts for game drives. The thrill of spotting your first lion or rhino is well worth any loss of sleep!
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip. To see what you're missing out on check out our Experience Southern Africa trip.
You may also want to check out Experience Southern Africa trip if you have more time to explore in southern Africa.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Okavango & Beyond trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This trip includes a mixture camping and other accommodation. While camping, tents, sleeping mats and sleeping bags will be provided and set up for you by our crew.
3. This trip finishes in Soweto on Day 9 after our cycle adventure. Please don't book any international flights until after 8pm this evening.
4. BORDER CROSSINGS ON THIS TRIP:
Exit Zimbabwe - Kazangula Road
Enter Botswana - Kazangula Road
Exit Botswana - Martin's Drift
Enter South Africa - Groblers Bridge
5. Our operator has advised that customers with the J&J vaccine and no booster may have difficulty crossing the border into Botswana (and potentially Zimbabwe) without a negative test result. This information conflicts with various government travel advice websites. We recommend you check with your local consulate before travel to ensure you have the most up to date information.
6. Border crossing delays in the region have been sporadic and difficult to predict as travel rebounds. What takes an hour one day may take four hours the next. This may affect the order of activities in the itinerary. We understand this uncertainty can be frustrating, and we strongly recommend packing a bit of patience and flexibility.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information