There’s times when it’s appropriate to dip a toe in, and there’s times when it’s best to dive in head first. Get ready to jump straight into the action on this trip from Lima to Rio, with plenty of time for independent exploring and taking things at your own pace. This trip takes in the very best of the centre of South America – from trekking the Inca Trail to Macchu Pichu to partying in Rio de Janiero. Visit Iguaza Falls, stroll the barrios of Buenos Aires, snap pictures at the incredible Uyuni Salt Flats, look out over the Nazca Lines and explore the histories and cultures of this incredible part of the world at a pace that allows you to do as much as you want.
Dates and availability
1. Inca Trail permits are sold on request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavour to secure a permit for you.
If Inca Trail permits are unavailable by the time you book, you can opt to hike the Inca Quarry Trail instead https://www.intrepidtravel.com/machu-picchu-peru/quarry-trail
The Inca Trail closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February you will be automatically booked to hike the Inca Quarry Trail.
Should you choose not to hike at all, please let us know in writing at the time of booking so alternative arrangements can be made. Without this prior warning, local fees may apply.
2. Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres (9200 feet) where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude – regardless of your age, gender and fitness. It even happened to Sir Edmund Hillary! Please read further about altitude sickness on the link provided in the Essential Trip Information.
3. This trip starts with a welcome meeting at 6 pm. If you are unable to find a suitable flight it is possible to book additional nights at the joining accommodation.
4. There are no activities on the final day and you are free to depart anytime.
5. This trip is a combination of three of our most popular departures. As such the make up of the group and the tour leader may change on Days 21 & 34
6. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 9, 22, 40 (Overnight bus), Days 11, 12, 13 (Camping), Days 18 (Homestay), Days 27, 28 (Dormitory) and Days 37, 38, 39 (Estancia) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
7. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase Entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.
8. Please be aware that while hiking the Inca trek or the Quarry trek that you may be joined by passengers from other Intrepid groups.
9. As you can choose different ways of reaching Machu Picchu (Inca Trail, Quarry Trail or Train), there is a small chance you may be the only traveller on your selected option.
10. Fees may apply if you choose to change from the Inca Trail to the Train or Quarry Trail after your booking has been made.
Filter by rating