Adventure from volcanic highland to island paradise
Get ready for a 29-day Lonely Planet Experience through Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama, powered by Intrepid. From oceans teeming with marine life to tropical forests alive with jungle melodies, this pocket of Central America is truly a natural paradise. Whether you're shopping in colonial Antigua, exploring the intricately carved structures at Copan or taking a night hike up an active volcano at La Fortuna, this trip gives you real insight into the heart and soul of Central America.
Experience an El Salvador of the past in the colonial Suchitoto, before savouring the blissful present on the black-sand beaches along its Pacific Coast.
Hike, cycle or zip-line through the steamy cloud forest of Monteverde in Costa Rica. Discover a lush environment filled with hundreds of mammal, bird and plant species.
Dial the relaxation up a notch with three nights on Isla Colon, Panama. Use your base in Bocas del Toro to explore mangroves, snorkel with turtles and chill on white beaches.
Waterfalls, wildflowers, hot springs and mountains – beautiful Boquete has it all. Choose to tour a coffee plantation, ride a bike along a river or take a relaxing walk through the forest.
Get off the beaten track and ride the remote waves of surfy Santa Catalina. If you'd prefer to stay dry, there's a beachside hammock with your name on it.
Central America is a big place. In order to see as much as we can, this trip includes some long days spent travelling. Please read the itinerary carefully for travel time estimates.
You’ll be crossing the borders between seven countries on this trip and while the process is usually straightforward, you may need to be patient. Make sure you’ve got your best car game ready in case of any delays!
Is it hot in here? The weather in tropical Central America can be sticky. Pack light, comfortable clothes and carry plenty of water.
Some of the optional activities on this adventure require a moderate level of fitness, especially the volcano hikes. If you want to take it easy, there are plenty of relaxing things you can do instead.
There will be times when you have to walk with your luggage, and for this reason, we recommend packing light and using a backpack or something easy to carry.
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights on your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. Multishare typically includes triple and quad rooms. You may be required to share with group members of the opposite sex and couples or people travelling together may occasionally be separated due to rooming configurations.
4. To save you money and the hassle of booking multiple trips, this journey is a combination of some of our most popular adventures. Your leader and the composition of your group may change with the start of each adventure.
5. Please be careful when booking flights to Antigua; make sure you fly into Guatemala City Airport [GUA]. Guatemala City Airport is the closest airport to Antigua. Please do not book flights to Antigua & Barbuda Airport [ANU] as this is an island in the Caribbean.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information