An epic trek on the Overland Track through Tasmania’s most breathtaking scenery
Take on the challenge of Australia’s most famous trek – the Cradle Mountain Overland track – and take in some of Tasmania’s most stunning scenery. With two expert mountain guides at your side, you’ll make your way through temperate rainforest and groves of eucalypts, across alpine moors and through valleys, skirt the edges of bright blue lakes and take in views of waterfalls and towering peaks in the distance. Camp on the edges of historic huts under star-filled skies, wake up to dramatic landscapes and take the chance to tackle side trips like summitting Cradle Mountain and the island’s highest peak Mt Ossa. This active adventure with Intrepid is one of the best ways to take in an iconic trek and landscape.
With everything taken care of, you’re free to make the most of the incredible scenery and views as you make your way along one of Australia’s most iconic hiking trails.
Leave all the organisation to us – from tickets and permits to camping gear - comfortable all-season tents and cooking equipment are all provided
Make the most of the local knowledge of two expert mountain guides along the way, and you’ll never take a wrong turn.
Enjoy the flexibility to tackle the trek as you like – the main track for a more leisurely hike, or add on a side trip like summitting Cradle Mountain or Mt Ossa for an extra challenge.
You will need to carry your own gear on this trek. Expect the weight of your pack to be up to around 15 kg. This includes a portion of the food for the trip, and a share of a tent which will be around 1.4 kg.
This is a camping trip and you will be required to set up camp each night. Facilities are very basic (bush camping toilets, no showers)
This trip involves plenty of walking over varied terrain and is best suited to travellers with a great level of mobility. Good footwear, clothing for all types of Tasmanian weather, plus perhaps walking poles are recommended. Details on physical activities and a packing list can be found in the trip notes.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Trek the Cradle Mountain Overland Track trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A pre-departure meeting will take place at 2pm the day BEFORE departure at the Macpac store, 22-26 Kingsway, Launceston. It is important that you bring your gear to this meeting as our team will check the suitability of your gear for the trek. You must advise us if you are not able to make this.
2. It is essential that you read the Packing List in our Essential Trip Information, and that you bring all necessary items. Backpack, rainwear, sleeping bag and sleeping mat – all these items are essential for this trip and can be hired locally (at $20 per item) if you do not wish to bring your own. Speak to your travel consultant if you need hire as items must be requested prior to travel.
3. This trip is a camping trip. You will be carrying your own tent and will set up camp each night. Solo travellers may need to share the tent with travellers of the same gender. Facilities are very basic.
4. You will need to carry your own gear on this trek. Expect the weight of your pack to be around up to 15 kg. This includes a portion of the food for the trip, and a share of a tent which will be around 1.4 kg.
5. Pick-up will be from 7am from your central Launceston accommodation. Please advise your booking agent of your preferred location prior to departure and confirm with our team at the pre-departure meeting the day prior. The trip will end with an arrival back into Launceston at around 4.30pm on the last day. Make sure you take this into consideration when booking onward travel.
6. All meals are included in the price of the trip, but you will need to bring your own snacks for inbetween meals on trekking days.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information