Cross Kenya and Tanzania through the fertile Masai Mara
Watch the wonders of Kenya and Tanzania unfold before you on this incredible 15-day overland adventure with Lonely Planet and Intrepid Travel. Head deep into the heartland of the Maasai tribespeople and the finest game parks in eastern Africa. Travelling through the acclaimed Masai Mara and the vast Serengeti plains to the stunning lakes of the Great Rift Valley and the dramatic scenery of the Ngorongoro Crater, you'll spot a wealth of exotic predators and peaceful herbivores. Follow in the footsteps of the Maasai with local knowledge each step of the way, leaving you with memories of Africa to last a lifetime.
Book before 9 August and start looking forward to an adventurous new year.
Spend the night in a Maasai village to learn about life from community elders, visit a widows’ community and maybe even learn to throw a spear.
An early morning game drive through Lake Nakuru National Park might be your best chance of seeing black and white rhinoceroses in the flesh.
Take a cooking class in a small village and learn some Kenyan recipes, then share your creations at a camp dinner under the stars.
Explore the Serengeti National Park in depth – with two early-morning and two late-afternoon game drives through this spectacular wildlife arena, you’ll have the best chance to spot the Big Five.
Swap the safari vehicle for two wheels on a guided biking adventure near Lake Victoria, stopping to shop for local wares and meet townsfolk at the Mwigobero Market.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
In Loita Hills we stay in a bush camp with no shower facilities while Maasai warriors guard us from the animals.
The overland vehicle is large enough to seat up to 22 passengers and carries all the camping equipment needed for the duration of this trip.
Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1. A single supplement is available on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This is a combination trip made up of two shorter trips. This means the composition of your group may change in Nairobi as some group members leave and new ones join you.
3. This trip finishes upon arrival in Nairobi on Day 15. Please do not book any flights until after 8 pm this evening.
4. If it is more convenient, we offer the option to finish the trip in Arusha or Nairobi. Please do not book flights out of Arusha airport until after 10.30 am.
5. An optional sunrise balloon ride in the Masai Mara or Serengeti National Park is possible on this itinerary. Please see the itinerary above for full details of this activity. As the balloon only holds 16 people, places are limited and we recommend you book in advance. Please inquire when booking your trip to book this optional activity.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information