I Bots-wana safari all the way from South Africa to Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe and back again
Four countries, eight national parks, 17 days, hundreds of animals and countless birds make this one unforgettable journey through the best of Southern Africa. Track rhinos at sunset in Zimbabwe, search for the Big Five in Kruger National Park, laze in the lagoons of the Okavango Delta in Botswana, learn about ongoing rhino conservation in Zimbabwe and visit the villages of the Hambukushuand XweBushmen tribes in Namibia. This overland camping trip brings you everythingwild and wonderful about Southern Africa plus a crew of good pals to take it all in with.
Some of our under-30 travellers prefer to get around with people their own age. If that’s you, you’re in the right place!
Over 29? We’ve got over 900 other great adventures to choose from for solo travellers, friends, families, food lovers, hiking enthusiasts, and more.
Don't wait - plan your next people and planet-friendly adventure with just £99* this March. Offer ends March 31.Terms & Conditions
Travel solo, together
You're never alone when travelling solo with Intrepid
There's nothing more relaxing than feeling the African sun on your face as you lie back in a mokoro, eyes closed while your expert poler propels you through the Okavango Delta
Victoria Falls is made for thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. Peer over the edge of this crazy cascade, then stay on for adventures on land and in the sky
What is the sound of a roaring lion if not a sweet soothing lullaby? You'll be camping right in the grounds of Kruger National Park, so you be the judge
Elephants might never forget, but you’ll get the unforgettable experience of cruising down the river in Chobe National Park, home of the world's highest concentration of African elephants
Forget the Grand Canyon – Blyde River Canyon's is gigantic, lush and green - pure photo-op gold
Pay the famous elephants and lions of Hwange National Park a visit from an open-air 4x4 vehicle
The African wild comes alive at sunrise, so there will be some early starts. The thrill of spotting your first lion or rhino is well worth any loss of sleep.
The going can be slow over the long distances and often bumpy roads. A little bit of patience will go a long way towards your enjoyment of this beautiful land.
This is a participatory camping trip, so team spirit is key. You'll be helping out with camp setup, food preparation and cleaning.
While the overland vehicles don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Real Southern Africa trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This trip finishes upon arrival in Johannesburg on Day 17. Please do not book any flights until after 10pm this evening.
3. On occasion, especially during the peak months of May to September and December we are not able to secure campsites within the Kruger National Park. In this instance we will camp at a backpackers outside the park.
4. Our operator has advised that customers with the J&J vaccine and no booster may have difficulty crossing the border into Botswana (and potentially Zimbabwe) without a negative test result. This information conflicts with various government travel advice websites. We recommend you check with your local consulate before travel to ensure you have the most up to date information.
5. Border crossing delays in the region have been sporadic and difficult to predict as travel rebounds. What takes an hour one day may take four hours the next. This may affect the order of activities in the itinerary. We understand this uncertainty can be frustrating, and we strongly recommend packing a bit of patience and flexibility.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information