Embark on an adventure in Tibet, travelling between Lhasa and Kathmandu
Join an adventure across the top of the world. From the serene former home of the Dalai Lama in Lhasa to the ancient narrow laneways of Kathmandu, traverse the world's highest mountain range and delve into the heart of Tibetan Buddhism. Mingle with locals, rub shoulders with pilgrims and take in spectacular scenery – this is most definitely Tibet and all its treasures uncovered.
TRIP CHANGES FOR 2018:
Due to visa regulation changes by the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, we now need 2 full days in Kathmandu for the embassy to process the group visa. Therefore, we have to make adjustment to the itinerary to meet this new visa process. No included activities have been affected though and we've added extra included activities in the extra time we have in Kathmandu. Details please see day to day itinerary.
Flanked by the majestic Himalayan Mountains, Kathmandu is nothing short of a legendary destination. Its bustling alleyways are filled with monks, incense, goats and sacred cows; its temples steeped in symbolism
In Lhasa, discover the dazzling former home of the Dalai Lama and the enchanting atmosphere of the pilgrim-filled Jokhang Temple, the holiest in the Tibetan Buddhist world
Each leg of a Tibetan road trip seems more incredible than the last. Climb stunning passes, drive along the sides of misty mountains, and take in jaw-dropping views of skies and lakes of perfect blue
Accompany devoted pilgrims on their kora (prayer circuit), spinning prayer wheels on a clockwise walk around the perimeter of the vast Tashilhunpo Monastery
An overnight stay at Everest Base Camp, in the midst of the world's tallest peaks, is truly an experience to remember
This trip visits places that are at high altitude, and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the trip notes for more important information.
This itinerary is operated at a leisurely pace. It's a combination of free time and time spent with the group –perfect for travellers who like a bit of flexibility.
There are some quite long days of travel, which can be tiring. On the other hand, the scenery is absolutely amazing, so sit back, relax and soak it up.
Steeped in myth, spirituality and of course remote mountainous terrain, Tibet is a great place to visit if you're an independent, open-minded traveller.
Note that in recent years there have been some restrictions on certain nationalities being able to travel on specific departures. Tibet has also been known to be closed down to foreign tourism without warning.
1. Do not obtain a Chinese visa in advance. As we must enter on a group visa when entering Tibet from Nepal, any other valid Chinese visa in your passport will be cancelled.
2. In order for us to apply for your Tibet entry permit you must provide a scanned, colour copy of the personal details page of your passport to your booking agent no later than 40 days prior to the start date of your trip.
3. Please bring a passport sized photo to our welcome meeting at 2pm on Day 1 for your Chinese visa application.
4. Please be aware that in recent years there have been times when restrictions on nationalities being able to travel on specific departures have been implemented or Tibet has been closed to foreign tourists without warning.
5. Due to the demands of travelling at high altitudes a Passenger Self Assessment Form is required for this trip.
6. All clients will be entering Tibet on a Group Permit arranged by Intrepid Travel and as such it's not possible for anyone to leave the group and remain in Tibet individually. Everybody must enter and leave Tibet with the group. Make sure you read the 'Visas' section for important details on the information you must provide for your group's Tibet permit.
7. It's a criminal offence for anyone to carry images of the Dalai Lama or the Tibetan flag - doing so may lead to confiscation of the items, detention, arrest or imprisonment by Chinese authorities. We strongly advise travellers against carrying these items at any time while within China.
8. A Single Supplement is available to purchase on this trip except for the stay in Everest National Park tent.
9. Please note while traveling in China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
10. You will have different tour leaders in Kathmandu and in Tibet and the flight between Kathmandu and Lhasa is unaccompanied by a leader.
11. The two internal international flight on this itinerary are included in the trip price.
12. The luggage limit for the included flights is 23kg.
Our Tibet Uncovered trips score an average of 5 out of 5 based on 3 reviews in the last year.
When you go with Intrepid you get the best trip for your money. You get to do things and see things, that most trips do not include. And you always feel safe.
Review submitted 15 Jul 2017
Just completed Intrepids Tibet Uncovered Tour, wow what an amazing experience. From Tibetan culture, monastery's, temples, the majestic Himalayas to standing at the base of Mt Everest. Fantastic tour leader Khandol and tour companions from around the world made Tibet a country I will never forget.
Review submitted 14 May 2017