Discover ancient cities and warming hospitality in the Middle East
From the ‘Land of the Pharaohs’ to the buoyant waters of the Dead Sea, this immersive 19-day tour through Egypt and Jordan is awash with highlights. Lose yourself in sun-kissed Cairo, be dazzled by the grandeur of ancient Egypt, cruise down the iconic Nile River, and explore the fascinating cities of Alexandria, Aswan and Luxor. Fly to Jordan and discover the sweeping desert and echoing formations of Wadi Rum, the hand-hewn facades of Petra and the ancient Roman ruins at Jerash. This is a Middle Eastern odyssey to remember.
You’ll never forget your first glimpse of The Treasury in Petra. Spend a day taking in the majesty and mystery of this unforgettable place on a guided tour then enjoy free time to explore.
Set sail down the Nile – one of the world’s most iconic rivers. Relax in comfort as scenes of everyday Egyptian life stream by and experience day turn to night from your sundeck.
Experience the unique sensation of floating in the super-salty waters of the Dead Sea, then cover yourself in the mineral-rich mud for a spa treatment like no other.
Explore the magnificent temples at Abu Simbel and see the four gargantuan statues of Ramses guarding the Great Temple, carved directly out of the mountain on the west bank of the Nile.
Meet Bedouin locals, learn about their ways, and sleep under the stars in a desert camp in the far-out destination of Wadi Rum.
Cairo is notorious for road congestion and air pollution. Be prepared for one of the busiest cities in North Africa.
The walkways around ruins can be uneven, dusty and rocky, so be sure to bring sturdy, comfortable walking shoes. At major sites such as the Pyramids, you can expect to be exposed to the elements at length, so be prepared with a hat, sunscreen and plenty of fluids.
The Middle East can get hot between June and September, but this is normally a dry heat and easier to cope with than humidity. Where possible we try and visit sites in the early morning before it gets too hot.
Accommodation aboard the overnight train is in two-berth cabins, which are comfortable and air-conditioned. All bedding is provided, and western-style toilets are located in each carriage. General train cleanliness may not be to the same standards you are accustomed to. An included dinner and breakfast are served on board. You may want to purchase something extra beforehand to supplement your meal, particularly if you have any dietary requirements.
The Nile Cruise includes three nights’ accommodation and full board (drinks are not included). Your ship will be docked each night in Aswan, Edfu or Luxor – please see the Itinerary for more details. When docked, Nile cruise ships are moored lengthways alongside each other, and your ship will most likely have a ship on either side. You walk through the other ships to reach the port.
In Wadi Rum we stay in a permanent tented camp with shared bathroom facilities. While the desert may be very hot during the day, it will still be cold at night and warm clothes are highly recommended when travelling outside of the summer months.
Ramadan is an annual month-long festival, during which travel can be a rewarding cultural experience, however some regular services may not be available during the day, such as restaurants or cafes, and occasionally travel can be disrupted by events. Your leader will adjust the itinerary accordingly, but please consider this when selecting your travel dates. You'll find dates and further information in the 'Climate and seasonal information' section of the Essential Trip Information.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer to have your own room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights on your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included, valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
3. This trip includes domestic and international flights as indicated on the trip map. The luggage allowance is 23kg for check in luggage and 7kg for carry on.
4. Please provide your full name exactly as per passport at the time of booking (including any middle names listed on your passport) for transport and entrance tickets. Fees may apply for adding or amending details within 45 days of departure, and in some cases you will be required to cover the cost of issuing new tickets.
5. Petra By Night is offered as an optional activity. This activity is currently scheduled to operate on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Please check your departure date if you would like to do this activity as it is not available on all departures.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information