Go cross-continent from Altiplano to salt flat
Explore South America on this 31-day tour. Take the road less travelled from sky-high La Paz to party-ready Rio de Janeiro, stopping along the way to see the mind-bending Uyani Salt Flat, follow your rhythm in Buenos Aires, ride horses on a Uruguayan estancia and wonder at the incredible power of Iguazu Falls. This overland adventure is big on freedom – your local leader will give you insider info, your group will provide the company of curious, like-minded travellers, and then you decide how you want to spend your days.
Don't wait - plan your next people and planet-friendly adventure with just £99* this March. Offer ends March 31.Terms & Conditions
Take a unique route from La Paz to Rio de Janeiro, stopping at tiny villages and indigenous towns along the way to get an authentic view of South America.
Hit the off-road on a two-day 4WD adventure across the largest salt flats in the world – Uyuni – exploring cactus islands, train cemeteries and mineral lakes teeming with flamingos.
Harness your inner gaucho during a three-day stay at a working estancia in Uruguay. Ride horses relax in nature or get involved with farm work – it’s up to you.
The mighty Iguazu Falls straddles the border between Argentina and Brazil, and this tour includes a visit to both sides for a complete experience.
Spend a day in Tilcara, one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in Argentina that is surrounded by steep and spectacular gorges and mountains.
This trip visits places as high as 4900 metres above sea level, which can cause altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Medical and health’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more details on travelling at altitude and ensure you are familiar with signs of AMS.
This tour includes a 4WD excursion through the Andean Desert and salt flats. Expect dusty and bumpy travels, extreme weather and basic facilities. Without a doubt, you can also expect exploring this surreal landscape to be one of the highlights of your trip to South America.
Please note that our leaders are not able to organise a trip to the ‘Death Road’ cycling route to Coroico for you due to safety concerns. Injuries are common along the road and there have been a number of fatal accidents. Our leaders are also unable to organise tours to the Potosi Mines.
There are some long travel days and two overnight bus journeys on this trip. Although the buses feature comfortable reclining seats, they are not beds. There’s also usually a toilet on board and some of the buses make toilet stops. These trips can be tiresome, but an adventure around South America wouldn’t be complete without a bumpy bus journey.
While at the estancia in Uruguay, you can choose to participate in the day-to-day activities of the farm as much or as little as you like. If you do choose to get involved, prepare for some early morning starts and to get your hands dirty when working directly with animals. The accommodation is multishare and meals are served family style. Please inform an Intrepid booking agent if you have any dietary requirements.
1. This trip is a combination of two of our most popular tours. As such, the make up of your group and your tour leader may change on Day 14 and Day 24.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 2, 20 (Overnight bus), Days 7, 8 (Dormitory) and Days 17, 18, 19 (Estancia) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. United States citizens need a visa to enter Bolivia and we highly recommend you obtain this visa in advance from your nearest Bolivian consulate or embassy. Not obtaining the visa in advance is likely to cause long delays at the border.
Please see the ‘Passports and visas’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more detail.
4. Please note you may require a Brazilian Visa for this trip. Processing can take around 2–5 weeks at the discretion of the embassy or consulate.
5. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally, on certain trips they are needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.
Please be aware that while hiking the Inca trek or the Quarry trek that you may be joined by passengers from other Intrepid groups.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information