Serengeti safaris, Sossusvlei sand dunes and San village visits
Travel from Kenya to Cape Town through some of Africa’s most incredible sights on this jaw-dropping 48-day overland journey with Lonely Planet and Intrepid. Explore Kenya’s bustling capital, keep your eyes open for the Big Five in the vast savannas of the Serengeti, hike through lush mountain terrain and traverse sprawling desert plainsin Namibia. Sample unique flavours, meet warm and welcoming local communities, relax beachside in Zanzibar, and prepare for an unforgettable southbound adventure through some of Africa's best.
Glide through the lily-filled waterways of the Okovango Delta on a mokoro (a small dugout canoe) and escape civilisation with an overnight stay at your island camp.
Be mesmerised by the staggering force and beauty of Victoria Falls, and experience firsthand why it’s known as the ‘smoke that thunders’ – a natural wonder that must be seen to be believed.
Chill out on the northern beaches of Zanzibar, enjoying white sands and the sparkling blue of the Indian Ocean, and consider learning about the island's spice trade on a guided visit to the local plantations.
Listen to the songs and stories of Namibia’s San people, the oldest inhabitants of southern Africa, and gain an insight into their traditional customs and beliefs.
Discover the magic of South Luangwa National Park on a morning safari game drive. This park is a highly concentrated arena of noble African beasts and exotic wildflowers.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/africa/overland
Camp in the Serengeti National Park itself without fences between you and the animals. Your leader will brief you on the safety measures the group will need to take for the two nights spent in the park.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
At Usambara Mountains the group will do a an easy hike to the beautiful Irente viewpoint.
We use mokoros (small dugout canoes) to pass through the shallow waterways of the Okavango Delta to get to our campsite for the night.
The overland vehicle is large enough to seat up to 22 passengers and carries all the camping equipment needed for the duration of this trip.
Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip. To see what you're missing check out our Africa Encompassed Southbound trip.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 33 (Camping) and Days 40,41,42 (Chalet) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. An optional sunrise balloon ride in the Serengeti National Park is possible on this itinerary. Please see the itinerary above for full details of this activity. As the balloon only holds 16 people, places are limited and we recommend you book in advance. Please inquire when booking your trip to book this optional activity.
3. This trip is a combination of YXOF, YXON, YXOP and YXOR of our most popular itineraries. As such the make up of your group and your leader may change on Days 9,12 and 27.
4. The Zanzibar portion of your itinerary may have a few more passengers than the maximum group size of 22 as we have a crossover of trips starting and finishing in Zanzibar.
5. This trip starts in Nairobi on Day 1 at 6pm. This allows time after the welcome meeting to explore Nairobi.
This trip finishes upon arrival in Cape Town on Day 48. Please do not book any flights until after 7 pm this evening.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information