An onsen-soaking, sake-sipping, bullet train-zipping tour
This 13-day tour of Japan will introduce you to the cultures – old and new – that define this small but influential archipelago. Beginning in tech-mecca Tokyo and finishing with three nights in Kyoto, this immersive tour will also introduce you to lesser-known cities through Japan’s centre and southern reaches. Discover scenic beauty on the Hakone ropeway, sip the best sake in Takayama, find out about the Hiroshima of today and wonder at the floating torii gate of Miyajima. You’ll have a local to guide you through these lesser-known destinations and reveal layers of culture and history, plus an included Japan Rail Pass to get from A to B in style and comfort.
Don't wait - plan your next people and planet-friendly adventure with just € 99* this March. Offer ends March 31.Terms & Conditions
Soar high above Lake Ashi and (on a clear day) get a glimpse of glorious Mt Fuji on a ride on the Hakone ropeway.
Be impressed by the efficiency and ultra modernity of Japan’s bullet trains as you zip from place to place with your included 14-day Rail Pass.
Explore traditional Japanese culture in Edo-period Takayama and visit a folk village, tour a 600-year-old market and a enjoy a sake brewery tasting.
Visit the Peace Park for moving insight into the devastation of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima, then cruise to peaceful Miyajima Island where wild deer roam the streets.
Finish your tour with three nights in Kyoto, Japan’s cultural capital and home to literally thousands of temples, the Gion District where Geisha entertain the wealthy elite and renowned Kyoto sushi.
We think Japan is best explored on foot, so this tour involves lots of walking. Please ensure you bring sturdy walking shoes and comfortable clothes. To make the most of the trip, it's best if you have at least a moderate level of fitness.
In some destinations you may be staying in a ryokan, which is a Japanese-style inn. It’s a great taste of tradition, however not everyone finds futon mattresses on the tatami-mat floor, small bathrooms and close proximity to other guests comfortable. Read more about ryokans in the ‘Accommodation’ section of the Essential Trip Information. For some departures, we may change the ryokan stay into hotels depending on seasonal availability. Please consult your booking agent if you need more details.
Be prepared to pack light and smart for this trip as you'll be required to carry your own luggage between train stations and to hotels, which can include going up and down multiple flights of stairs in crowded areas.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Japan: Land of the Rising Sun trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is currently not available for this trip due to limited rooms at our chosen accommodation.
2. A 14-day Japan Rail Pass is included in the price of your trip (validated on Day 2). For those planning to stay longer in Japan, a Japan Rail Pass extension, valid for 21-days, is available for purchase. Japan Rail Passes are only available for purchase outside of Japan. It is therefore necessary to purchase them before the tour begins.
3. It is essential that you pack light and compact for rail travel in Japan. There are size restrictions for luggage on Shinkansen trains. Luggage from 160cm to 250cm may require an additional JPY1000 oversize luggage fee per train journey. Luggage over 251cm will NOT be permitted on the Shinkansen trains at all. Please notify your tour leader at your Welcome Meeting if your luggage is from 160cm to 250cm so they can make the necessary arrangements.
4. Renovation works on Miyajima's famous floating torii gate started in June 2019. During the renovation works, the torii gate is covered up under a partially transparent scaffolding. Furthermore, a bridge is being built on the left side of the gate (when viewed from the shrine) to aid the renovation works. A date for the completion of the renovation works has not been set yet.
5. We are currently unable to book pre or post trip accommodation at our start and finish point hotels due to limited room availability. We recommend booking a hotel of your choice through your booking agent.
6. We are not able to book airport shuttle service between Kyoto and Kansai Airport at the moment. Your leader will be able to advise on best ways of getting to Kansai Airport in Osaka.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information