- The Intrepid Experience
- About Intrepid
- Booking Intrepid
›You are hereHome›Books & Cooks (Weekends)
Books & Cooks (Weekends)
- 3 Hours
Total price tool tip
- *Approx package price
Combine street food and brain food on this Philadelphia tour that takes in the hallowed halls of academia, the glory of the grand terminal, the worship of college basketball, and the fun of food trucking!
* Experience the intersection of literature and learning, and culinary masterpieces on this double-themed Philadelphia walking tour.
* Explore Drexel University's historic architecture and continue through Philadelphia's University City neighborhood to the University of Pennsylvania and its iconic college sport venues - Franklin Field and the Palestra. If you're lucky, you'll get a look inside the legendary Palestra.
* Marvel at the beauty of Penn's Locust Walk, admire Houston Hall (home of America's first Student Union), and be impressed by Frank Furness' Fisher Library.
* Experience the historic burial ground of Woodlands Cemetery, and the historic Victorian architecture of the neighborhood
* Studying history always works up an appetite, which we help quell with a jaunt to Clark Park, where Philly's best food trucks sometimes gather on the weekend. Navigate some of the city's best street food, and finish the tour with a fantastic view of Baltimore Avenue and its offerings.
What's included in this trip
Carbon Offset:Voucher exchange details
Please present your voucher to the local guide at the beginning of the tour.
Confirmation of booking
Please contact Philadelphia Urban Adventures to confirm your tour 24 hours prior to departure.
If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides and drivers a tip - though not compulsory - is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Intrepid Urban Adventures destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
Your tour begins at Philadelphia's largest transportation hub, 30th St. Station. You'll get a glimpse of the fine architecture inside the grand terminal, and you'll be in the midst of the busy intersection of trains, buses, subways, and trolleys. We leave the station on foot and begin the journey down Market St. and the neighborhood's research core.
We quickly reach Drexel University, head down one of their new green quads and into the beautiful Main Building, the very first building on Drexel's campus. From here we head down the hill past World Cafe Live and underneath the highline as trains are passing high above.
We enter Penn Park, a brand new green space with spectacular views of the Philly skyline. The tour continues over the train tracks and passes by some of the most iconic college sports venues in the country in Franklin Field and the Palestra. You'll possibly have a chance to see inside the famous Palestra and their wonderful college basketball museum.
From there we head to to the heart of Penn's campus, the very first public university in the United States. We'll take you past Fisher Library, an architectural masterpiece by Frank Furness. We'll walk by College Hall, Penn's first building on the campus, and go inside Houston Hall, home of America's first Student Union. From there we walk up Locust Walk, arguably the most beautiful city campus setting in the country.
From there, the weekend edition of the tour continues deeper into the neighborhood. We walk past Woodlands Cemetery,one of the city's most historic burial grounds. We head through University of the Sciences, then into a residential neighborhood with some beautiful Victorian architecture.
We then arrive at Clark Park. Here, you'll occasionally see food trucks lining the park as activity surrounds the group. You'll get your pick of the finest street food around and have a chance to rest your legs. From the park, we finish the tour with a veiw of Baltimore Ave.'s restaurants, cafes, shops, and markets.
We arrive at the trolley stop and your guide will provide a token for each person. This street trolley ride is a unique experience and you'll have the option to ride back to 30th St. or continue into Center City.