A spice-infused tour of India from Kochi to Delhi
This all-encompassing tour of India takes in the highlights of north and south - revealing some of the country's wonderful secrets. Revel in the tropical climate, warm waters and lush green landscapes of the south in places like Kochi, Puducherry and Madurai. Then be dazzled by the kaleidoscopic colours, the Mughal grandeur and the spiritual mysteries of the north in Jaipur and Agra. Travel from Kochi to Delhi and combine the slower delights of Kerala and Tamil Nadu with the rush and jumble of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan on this incredible adventure.
For a limited time, lock in your spot on a 2018 adventure with just R25!Terms & Conditions
Known as the ‘Queen of the Arabian Sea’, Kochi is a fascinating blend of Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch and English influences, and is best explored by ferry
Step back in time among the iridescent hills of the very British ‘Snooty Ooty’ - home of snooker and the charming Nilgiri toy train
Spot tigers, elephants, sloths and birds on safari around two of the best places in India to observe wildlife up close - Mudumalai National Park and Periyar
Feel energy radiate from the world’s largest solid crystal in the experimental city of Auroville
Experience a unique way of life with a family homestay in the idyllic backwaters of Kerala
Keep your adrenaline charged with a tiger spotting adventure among the lakes and crags of Ranthambhore National Park
Ride camels through the desert in Pushkar, gaining insight into the life of rural Rajasthan
Ballooning over Jaipur while the sun rises is an unforgettable experience
The hills and shimmering lakes of Udaipur make it India’s capital of romance
A trip to India wouldn’t be complete without a visit to the Taj Mahal – a masterpiece of Indian architecture
Enjoy a variety of accommodation - from a fortified mansion to camping under the stars
From April 2017, the main dome of the Taj Mahal will undergo mud pack therapy to restore its original colour. It is expected the dome will be covered in iron scaffolding during the process which is expected to last a year.
This trip involves some long stints of travel, which can be tiresome but offer a quintessential Indian experience.
Sleeper trains are clean and air-conditioned, and a great way to travel long distances while still getting maximum time in each place. Beds are padded berths with sheets, pillow and blanket provided (although some people prefer to bring their own sleeping sheet). Please note that you may be sharing with locals of the same or opposite gender.
The hill station of Ooty can be cold at night, especially in winter, so come prepared with warm clothing. You’ll also need warm and waterproof clothing for your visits to Mudumalai and Periyar National Parks.
We visit a number of temples on this trip, which requires a certain level of modesty. Please bring clothes that cover the arms and pants/skirts that go past the knees. A light scarf is also a good idea for covering shoulders and arms when it’s hot.
It’s important to prepare for hot sticky temperatures during the day and cooler climates in the evening, particularly in the desert. Layers are the one of the best ways to tackle this disparity in weather.
Long distance and overnight trains can often be delayed and occasionally cancelled due to heavy fog between Dec-Feb. Please see the transport section of the essential trip information.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our India South & North trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available for this trip and is applicable for all nights on tour with the exception of nights 5 in Mudumalai National Park and the overnight train on night 7.
2. Intrepid requires a copy of your scanned passport bio page at time of booking to complete bookings for Ranthambhore National Park visit.
3. This trip travels back to Delhi on the afternoon of Day 28 arriving into the capital around 11pm. Please do not book departure flights out until at least 4am on Day 29 to allow for delays.
4. The Pushkar Camel Fair is held in late Oct early November, please see the climate and seasonal information in these Trip Notes
5. Hot air balloon flights are operated by Sky Waltz in Jaipur. Flights operate mornings from September to June and morning and evening from September to March. Morning flights depart around sunrise and evening flights late afternoon and last 60 mins. Return transfers, tea and coffee plus light refreshments and a certificate of flight are included in the cost. You can register your interest and pay your tour leader at your joining meeting on day 1 of your trip. Payment must be made by cash in either INR/AUD/USD/GBP only and is USD$250pp (subject to change) Flights are subject to weather conditions and availability. Tickets are fully refundable in case of poor weather.
6. E-visas are only available for entry of up to 30 days.This is a 29 day trip. If you are planning on spending longer in India you will need to pre purchase your Indian visa prior to departure from your home country and will not be able to travel on an e-visa.
7. As this is a combination trip, your group leader and the composition of your group may change on Day 15.
8. The internal flight and transfers from Kochi to Delhi are NOT included. Please see details on day 15 of the trip. There are many direct or transit flights between COK-DEL daily.
Our India South & North trips score an average of 4.78 out of 5 based on 9 reviews in the last year.
Intrepid is my favourite travel company as it offers a very good range of adventure trips and employs local guides.
Review submitted 08 Jan 2018
Understand that all meals are not included plan accordingly. Know that you will be in shape at the end of your trip. If you are a photographer know that you need to shoot fast, or explore on your own.
Review submitted 31 Mar 2017