Visit the Grand Canyon in USA’s Arizona with this slow-paced trekking adventure. By hiking the south rim of the canyon, you’ll have the opportunity to really take in the sweeping panoramic views and rich cultural and geological history of the area. Spend each night in an official ‘dark sky’ region (yes – that means the stars will be on show in a dazzling nightly display) in a campsite with all the comfortable amenities you could need. Spend four days exploring pine forests, prehistoric rock faces, deep natural canyons and old mining trails while you enjoy views of the red and orange landscape and the Colorado River. End your trip with a visit to the Desert View Watch Tower, followed by a hike through the ancient stone house ruins of Flagstaff and the youngest cinder cone volcano of the southwest.
Dates and availability
1. Please note this trip requires a minimum number of booked customers to guarantee the departure. Your Booking Agent will advise at time of booking if the departure has met minimum numbers. If minimum numbers are not met, you will be advised no later than 30 days out from departure. We recommend arranging flights and related travel services once your departure is guaranteed. In the event that your departure is cancelled due to minimum numbers not being met, a full refund will be provided of monies paid.
2. A completed registration form is required to join these trips. You will not be confirmed for the trip until your form has been received and reviewed. We may ask for a medical release signed by your physician for medical conditions or circumstances which could possibly compromise your safety or the safety of others on this trip – please speak to your agent for further details.
3. A signed disclaimer (Acknowledgement of Risks Form) is required at the time of booking for this trip – please speak to your agent for further details.
4. To help ensure this trip is right for you, this trip is subject to additional ‘Essential Eligibility Requirements’ – see the ‘Itinerary Disclaimer’ section of the Essential Trip Information for further details.
5.This trip is operated and run by Wildland Trekking, an Intrepid company. You will be travelling with a mixture of both Wildland Trekking customers and Intrepid customers.
6. A pre-trip orientation meeting will take place at 5:00 PM on the day before trip starts at the Little America Hotel in Flagstaff, Arizona. Early on the morning of day 1 your guide will pick you up at your hotel for transport to the trailhead. This trip concludes at approximately 5:00 PM on the last day.
7. A single tent is provided to all solo travellers at no extra cost.
8. Please note for December 2023 - April 2024 Departures: The Bright Angel trail is closed between December 1, 2023 and April 14, 2024. During this time period, we will descend the Hermit Trail, which features big views, fossils, Native American history and a unique look at the geology of the Grand Canyon. Distance is 3-6 miles (5-10 km), elevation gain/loss of up to 2150 feet (655 m).