Discover mystique, tradition and flair between Moscow and St Petersburg
Taste mystery and intrigue on a revealing tour of Russia - a land that lay hidden behind the Iron Curtain for decades. Experience the grandeur of Moscow, the beauty of Russia's ancient capitals Suzdal and Novgorod, and the grace of St Petersburg. Visit the intricately detailed cathedrals, historic monuments, age-old treasures and romantic landscapes of this great nation, and find the heart of enigmatic Russia.
Traveling over New Years? Take a look at our special 'Russia Highlights - New Year' Itinerary (Trip Code WBSW).
Red Square has long been at the heart of Russian history – visit the austere mausoleum of Lenin, the initiator of the 1917 Russian revolution, contrasting with the eye-bulging treasure collection in the Kremlin and Armoury Museum
Discover the secrets of Russia’s oldest kremlin in Novgorod and see the Millennium Monument, which tells the story of 1,000 years of Russian history
Share in traditional tastes with a visits to the homes of our local friends in Suzdal & St Petersburg for a hearty home cooked meal, piles of pancakes and endless cups of tea
Experience the joys of train travel as we traverse by high-speed Sapsan train and on an overnight sleeper from Moscow to Novgorod.
Encounter the legacy of Russian tsar Peter the Great while exploring the enigmatic streets that showcase the many palaces and museums of St Petersburg
This trip includes an overnight train journey. Conditions are simple but comfortable – a truly Intrepid experience and a great way to meet, and travel like, the locals. There is a toilet/bathroom and compartments with bunks/berths. Please note that we travel 2nd class on all overnight trains (4 people per compartment). While we always try to have our groups staying together, there may be times where due to ticket availability the group will be staying in different compartments and carriages.
As well as overnight train travel, we experience a variety of different transport types on this journey high-speed train, public & private bus, metro and of course plenty of exploring on foot.
Some of the accommodation along the way is basic, staying a guesthouses with shared rooms and bathroom facilities.
Please note that on occasion Lenin's Mausoleum and Red Square may be closed to the public during regular opening hours without prior warning.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2017 to 31 December 2017. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Russia Highlights trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding nights in the guesthouse and overnight train.
2. In order for our local operator to book train tickets we require the following information at time of booking or no later than 60 days prior to departure.
• Passengers full name
• Full Passport Details (number, expiry, issued)
• City of Birth
3. In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, Intrepid's St Petersburg Office can be reached on Tel: +7 911 7033155
4. Please make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster or civil unrest) necessitate a change to our planned route.
5. 3. To avoid disappointment we recommend that you book any theatre performances that you wish to attend in Moscow or St Petersburg in advance. If you wish to book the theatre performances in Moscow, please book for Day 1 of the trip. There's no time in the evening on Day 3 to see the performances because we return to the city in the evening.
Our Russia Highlights trips score an average of 4.8 out of 5 based on 179 reviews in the last year.
Intrepid helped us explore Russia feeling safe and seeing lots of different areas. Lots of local experiences along the way.
Review submitted 16 Oct 2017
The Russian Highlights trip is a truly unforgettable experience, from the unbelievable grandeur of the Metro stations in Moscow (to be seen to be believed!) to the breathtakingly beautiful buildings of St Petersburg, Russia is a country which simply must be explored. It's fascinating culture and history are evident throughout this trip and the visits to local houses were an excellent way to understand the Russian way of life. The itinerary was packed with interesting things to do, the overnight train was a great taster for the Trans Siberian express and the local tour guides were well informed and interesting. I cannot recommend enough - just book it!
Review submitted 14 Oct 2017