Travel to Africa and experience the Serengeti and Kilimanjaro
Experience two of Africa's most famous natural wonders from ground level on this Active trip, designed for those with a passion for the outdoors. The imposing peaks of Mt Kilimanjaro inspire awe and rouse a spirit of adventure, while the vast plains of the Serengeti evoke a sense of wonder and deep respect for the animal kingdom. Rise to the challenge and conquer Africa's highest peak on a difficult trek to the summit of Mt Kilimanjaro. Safari through the savanna in search of stealthy predators, then spot other game in the gigantic Ngorongoro Crater. This is a journey that will reward those with an appetite for excitement and an appreciation for nature, so get ready for thrills, challenges and discovery.
For a limited time, we’re offering 15% OFF sunny adventures to Southeast Asia, Central America, the Caribbean and more. Hurry though, offer ends 9 April 2018 and applies to trips departing between 1 May and 31 August 2018.Terms & Conditions
Travel with a group of experienced guides and porters with 1 guide for every 2 passengers
Stay in the comfort of huts along this shorter Kilimanjaro route
Walk through the different alpine zones and scenery as you gain altititude
Hike Kilimanjaro's climactic last stretch by lamplight reaching Africa’s highest point in time for sunrise
Safari in the iconic Serengeti National Park with two early morning and two late afternoon game drives in our overland vehicle
Embark on a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open roof safari 4x4 for a chance to see a Black Rhino.
We are an official partner of IMEC’s Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP). This means all of our climbs have been assessed and scored based on a number of criteria, all of which are designed to ensure the proper treatment of porters on the Mountain. Read more here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/theme/walking/kilimanjaro-trek
A good level of fitness is required to join this tour. While the distances covered are not far, the effects of altitude will make it much harder than the usual uphill hike.
To allow for your body to adjust to the altitude the going will be slow. The speed of the hiking may be much slower than you are use too. However, we have found that this slow speed allows your body’s reserve levels to remain high plus also allows for your body to adjust to the altitude as you walk.
Tried and tested all-purpose hiking equipment is required. Night time temperatures can get very cold above 3500m so warm clothing and sleeping bag is essential. Hiring of equipment/sleeping bag is also possible.
Your safety comes first. Our experienced guides will monitor each passenger for any signs of acute mountain sickness. If any signs are shown you will be instructed to descend immediately with the assistance from one of our guides.
Be prepared for dusty and therefore dirty conditions. It can be tough going hiking for continuous days without a shower. A dust mask, wet wipes and face washer may become your best friends.
The huts along this route sleep between 4 and 12 passengers and therefore will be mixed gender.
Camp in the Serengeti National Park itself without fences between you and the animals. Your leader will brief you on the safety measures the group will need to take for the 2 nights spent in the park.
We use our purpose-built overland vehicles for the duration of this trip. This multi-purpose truck allows for great game viewing with large sliding windows. As such the trucks do not have air-conditioning and conditions can be dusty and hot.
This is a participatory camping trip. You will be expected to set up and take down you own tent as well as assist with food preparation and cleaning.
Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1. This is a combination trip and the composition of your group will change in Nairobi. You will meet your new leader and group on Day 8 at the welcome meeting.
2. A single supplement is available on this trip. Please see your booking agent for further information. The supplement does not apply to nights 2-5.
3. The cabins on the climb will be 4-12 person share.
4. A Passenger Self Assessment Form required for this trip.
5. There is a flight from Kilimanjaro to Nairobi on Day 7 of this trip. This section of the trip is unescorted.
6. Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude.
7. Please make sure you arrange your flights in order to arrive at Kibo hotel before 4pm on Day 1 in order to attend the very important pre-climb briefing and information session that is usually held before dinner.
8. This trip finishes upon arrival in Nairobi on Day 8. Please do not book any flights until after 8pm this evening.
9. If it is more convenient, we offer the option to finish the trip in Arusha on the final day rather than transferring back to Nairobi. Please do not book flights out of Arusha airport until after 10.30am.